ROYAL FORTRESS

Royal Circular Fortress is located on the highest western part of the Lokrum Island. It was built in 1808. During the Napoleonic wars, the French constructed a fort in the shape of a star on the highest peak of the island. In the 1830s Austria reinforced the fortifications by constructing the, so-called, Maximilian’s Tower. In 1859 Archduke Maximilan Hasburg bought the island and built a tower shaped castle on the devastated part of the monastery. It is one of the favourite excursion destinations for tourism located only 10-15 min by boat from Dubrovnik old port.

Find on map

Address:

Utvrda Royal, Rajski Put, 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.629846, E18.116776

DUBROVNIK, OLD TOWN, FORTRESS

The main wall is 1.94 km long. It was reinforced by three circular and 14 quadrangular towers, five bastions, two angular fortifications and a large fortress called Sveti Ivan. Among the towers, the most monumental is the circular tower of Minčeta located on the north-western corner. The reinforcement includes one large and nine smaller semi-circular bastions and the casemate fortress Bokar, the oldest preserved fortress of that kind in Europe. The town was also defended from two independent fortresses: Revelin, on the eastern side, built in the period 1539-1551 and Lovrijenac on the western side, situated at a 46-m high cliff above the sea. According to the chronicles, their construction started in 1050

Find on map

Address:

Ul. Vrata od Pila, 20000, Dubrovnik

Lovrijenac: Lovrijenac, Ul. Skalini dr. Marka Foteza 2, 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.641725, E18.107228

Lovrijenac:

N42.640999, E18.104052

IMPERIAL FORTRESS

Hill Srđ is located above the city of Dubrovnik on the north side. Srđ has always been a natural shelter from the burial strike and through history and an important strategic position in defending the city. At the top of the hill is the Imperial fortress that was built by Napoleon after the French army entered Dubrovnik and abolished the Dubrovnik Republic. The construction of the fortress lasted from 1806 to 1814 and was intended to defend from Russians and Montenegrins whose attack was expected at that time.Until the beginning of the Homeland War in Croatia and the beginning of the siege operations of the Dubrovnik Fortress, it was not used for its intended purpose.

Find on map

Address:

Utvrda Imperial, Srđ ul. 2, 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.649679, E18.110833

MOLUNAT OLD TOWN

A village on the coast of Konavle. Prehistoric tumuli can be found near the village and the remains of Roman architecture in the village. On the mainland side, a wall built in the period from 1468 to 1471 by inhabitants of Dubrovnik protects the small peninsula.

Find on map

Address:

20218, Molunat
~45 km away from 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.453228, E18.435824

CAVTAT OLD TOWN

A town and port southeast of Dubrovnik.Originally it was a Greek settlement called Epidauros. Around 228 BC it came under the Roman control and later became a Roman Colony. Archaeological finds from those times include the remains of a Roman theatre, as well as tombs and the ruins of a town destroyed at the beginning of the 7th century, during the invasion of Avars and the Slavs.

Find on map

Address:

Obala Ante Starčevića 18, 20210, Cavtat
~15km away from 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.581245, E18.217886

OŠTRO FORTRESS

Rt. Oštra is the most southern point on the land on the Prevlaka peninsula, part of Dalmatia and Croatia. On June 24, 1419 the Dubrovnik Republic purchased the Sandal of Hranić at the Great Eastern part of Konavle, from the village Popovići to the Soko fortress and from the Sutorina plain to the Cape of Ostros found at the entrance to the bay of Kotor. The western part of Konavle was purchased in 1426.
Due to the benefits to the maritime transport and the strategic positions of the entrance and exit to the Bay of Kotor, which were monitored during the Austrian rule, defensive forts were built in the 1850s.The fortress at Prevlaka was built after the capitulation of Italy in 1943 and suffered damage that is still visible even today.

Find on map

Address:

Tvrđava Oštro, 20218, Vitaljina
~50 km away from 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.392946, E18.532970

SOKOL FORTRESS

The city of Sokol is the fortress of the Dubrovnik Republic strategically positioned along the border with the then Ottoman Empire. The first mention of Sokol dates back to the time of the Dubrovnik Republic, and the records of it can be traced back to prehistoric times. The prehistoric fortress had the role of protecting the inhabitants of the suburban settlements while the Byzantine fortress defended the convoy area from the nearby enemies. The Dubrovnik people remained in the Sokola estate from the first half of the 15th century until the end of the 17th century when they left during the Candian Wars in 1669.

Find on map

Address:

Sokol grad, 20216, Dunave
~37 km away from 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.542362, E18.409223

STRINČJERA FORTRESS

Strinčjera is the name for the old and ruined fortress which is part of the fortification system of the Mount Srđ above Dubrovnik, located about ten minutes away from the city. Imperial, Gradci and Žarkovica fortresses are part of the same system of fortifications. Strinčjera is located at the altitude of 411 m. It is located on a point where the entire northern, eastern and part of the southeastern slope of the hill Srđ can be seen. Taking into account the good defensive position of this point, Austrian authorities decided to build a fort on that location. It’s purpose was to block the access to the city of Dubrovnik from the aforementioned directions. The time of Strinčje’s construction was never exactly established, but according to reports by Austrian Colonel Giuseppe Amerling from 1870, it was assumed that it was built between 1886 and the late 19th century.
During the Homeland War the Strinčje was one of the positions of the Croatian Army, but after the fierce attacks and the deaths of ten Croatian war veterans in November 1991, the Stalinists took over the JNA units that remained there until May 26, 1992.

Find on map

Address:

Utvrda Strinčjera, Srđ ul. 2, 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.659739, E18.104262

KOLOČEP TOWERS

The island of Koločep or Kalamota belongs to the Dubrovnik island group called Elaphite Islands. It is divided into two parts, Upper Celo and Lower Celo, which are easily accessible on foot. The fortress of Kaštio has an emergency shelter which can take few hundred people in case of attacks. On the road leading from the tower in Donje Celo to the interior of the island, in the place from where it is possible to control the harbor and the road, rises completely preserved four-leafed tower. The tower is a characteristic type of construction of the 16th century (built in 1571, during the Battle of Lepants) which were built in the Dubrovnik area for the purpose of the defence from the pirates.  The ruins of tower Mala Toreta lie at the foot of Mount Ivanjeg, about 200 meters away from the sea and served as a lookout point during its long history.

Find on map

Address:

Župna crkva Velike Gospe, 20221, Koločep
~10 km away from 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.678397, E18.007557

SUTVRAČ FORTRESS

The island of Lopud belongs to the Dubrovnik island group called Elaphite Islands. Situated on the highest point of the island is the Spanish fort Sutvrač which dates back to 1563. It offers an excellent view of the inhabited and uninhabited part of the island and the other Elaphite islands, the mainland part of the Dubrovnik coast.Many remains of ancient Greek, Roman and Slavic structures and ruins have been found on the island. Fragments of pottery of Illyrian citizens were also found at the site of today’s Spanish quarters.

Find on map

Address:

Sutvrac Fortress, 20222, Lopud
~15km away from 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.684244, E17.953953

SUĐURAĐ CASTEL

The largest of Elaphite Island, Šipan,  has several architectural monuments from the Middle Ages. The summer villa of the Skorkočević family from 15th century stands out as especially notable. Suđurađ cove has a fortified castle built by Tomo Stjepović –Škočibuha in 1539 and his son Vice erected a high tower 1577 near the castle. The ruins of the summer residence of the Dubrovnik archbishops can be seen between Šipanska Luka and Suđurađ which the humanist Lodovico Beccadelli used as a residence during his stay. Gothic tower and Renaissance church of the Holy Spirit from 1569 it is the only church and military fortress in the Dubrovnik region as well as in the whole of southern Dalmatia, built to defend the residents of Suđurđa from the attacks by pirates.

Find on map

Address:

Sudjuradj – Puhijera 4, 20223, Suđurađ
~20 km away from 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.710868, E17.908930

WALLS OF STON AND KAŠTIO FORTRESS

Ston was founded in 1333, as soon as Dubrovnik got hold of Peljesac. The town was fortified by 980m long walls, forming an irregular pentagon, with massive towers on the corners. From the north-western corners, the walls rise to the top of Pozvizd Hill, where they merge with Pozvizd Fortress and from the north-east corner they follow the line of the land bridge to connect to the walls of Mali Ston. The biggest fortress of Ston, Veliki Kaštio, rises on the south-west corner. The wall east of it was running along the coast which borders the salt works of Ston between the coast and the sea.

Find on map

Address:

Stonske zidine – ulaz, 20230, Ston
Tvrđava Kaštio, 20230, Ston
~55 km away from 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.836922, E17.696828

N42.836889, E17.696752

ANTIQUE PALACE , MALI AND VELIKI GRADAC FORTIFICATIONS

The island was mentioned in Roman times under the name Melite.The Gradac fortress was over 40 meters long. Such fortresses can accept over 100 people and at that time was an excellent protection from the enemy. Additional security of this fort was extended to two smaller towns in the immediate vicinity – Mali and Veliki gradac. Polače is the most historic settlement and dates back to the Greek and Illyrian times. Today, many settlements from the Roman period can be seen in the settlement. During the 1830s, Polače was inhabited by the families Dabelić and Nodilo in the second half of the 20th century. The settlement spread abruptly along the coast, located on the walls of the ancient palace after which it got its name.

Find on map

Address:

Rimska palača, D120, 20226, Polače
~100 km away from 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.785858, E17.377517

SMRDAN GRAD FORTRESS

One of the most famous persons of the Croatian history was Matija Gubec, who was prominent as the leader of the peasant bun in Slovenia and Croatia. Gubec, before the peasant insurrection, had a role of the serf in the property of Franjo Tahi. The peasants ceased to pay taxes to the rulers and armed mercenaries were sent to them. That caused the peasant insurrection, which began in January 1573. Gubec became the leader of the insurrection and raised the rebellion along with Lepoić, Pasanac, Pozepac, and Gregorić. Gubec encouraged others to join the rebellion and never gave up. In the battle at Gornja Stubica, the peasants were defeated, and the leader was later executed. A park dedicated to a brave leader is in the center of town, featuring a children’s playground, where you can watch your youngsters from the bench. The Dubrovnik Republic gave the region of Klek to the Turks after the war between the Holy League and Ottoman Empire during the second half of the 17th century. It served as an exit to the sea and a protection corridor between the territories held by Dubrovnik and the Venetian Republic. Above the settlement, a defensive complex was built in Smederevo (Smrden-city) in 1688. On the southeast side of the building there is a four-floor tower, and on the north-eastern side, towards the sea, a circular ground floor tower and a baroque chapel. The town defended the Venetian area of the Ottoman Empire.

Find on map

Address:

Smrdan grad, 20356, Klek
~72 km away from 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.950658, E17.566237

BRŠTANIK FORTRESS

Opuzen was first mentioned in the Middle Ages. In the 14th century it was a market–town of the Dubrovnik Republic and at the end of the 15th century it was the location of the fortress called Koš. In 1685 the Venetians built another fortress on the same location. South of Opuzen is the hamlet of Podgradina with remains of the mediaeval fortification Brštanik built in 1373 by the Bosnian king Tvrtko. It was destroyed in the 15th century by the Turks and restored by the Venetians and Austrians.

Find on map

Address:

Utvrda Brštanik, 20356, Podgradina
~86 km away from 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N43.009389, E17.565870

NORINSKA TOWER

The tower was erected as a guard of the Turkish Empire since the invasion of Venetian ships in Neretva. It was used for military purposes until the 19th century when it was turned into a windmill and today stands as a valuable monument of culture. It is not known exactly when the tower was built, but it is estimated to be built around 1500, immediately after the arrival of the Turks in the Neretva Valley.The end of the 14th and the beginning of the 15th century represents the end of the free states of South-eastern Europe and the time when the Christian peoples from these territories came under Turkish Empire.

Find on map

Address:

Kula Norinska (utvrda), 20350, Metković
~91 km away from 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N43.028258, E17.606985

VRATAR FORTRESS

The Vratar is a medieval fort near today’s Borovci settlement close to Metković. It has a form of irregular five-octane with two towers, larger in the north and smaller on the west side. The outer wall from the east is about 30 m long. The Fortress Vratar belonged to the Kovačevići-Dinjičići estate. It is mentioned for the first time on August 12, 1434, when Duke Juraj Vojsalić returns the land to Jurjević-Radivojević-Vlatkovic brothers.
The arrival of Turks in Herzegovina threatened the Vratar. M. Vego and D. Mandić write that the Turks occupied the Vratar around 1478. At the same time, Dubrovnik had to demolish Brštanik fortress downstream from Vratara.

Find on map

Address:

Vratar, 20278, Borovci
~110km away from 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N43.084886, E17.565931

KAŠĆEL FORTRESS

The prehistoric fortress of Dubrovnik was built near a cascade that was repeatedly repaired. Inside the fortress, you can find the estates and small chapel devoted to Saint Iva. It was demolished during the rebellion from 1602 to 1606 and a new one was built in 1808 when the French occupied the island. This fortress, after being restored, is today used as a metrological station.

Find on map

Address:

Kašćel, 20290, Lastovo
~207 km away from Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.768411, E16.900328

KORČULA OLD TOWN

From the old part of the town of Korčula the gate called Kopnena Vrata (1650) leads to trough Revelin, a monumental tower with a quadrangular ground plan (1493-1496), to the bridge. In the northern part of the peninsula is the semi-circular Tiepolo Tower and on the western coast, at the pier, the Barbarigo Tower can be found. From outskirts, in front of the Gate of the Mainland, the way leads to the Hober park and the fortress of St. Blaise, built in 1813 by the English. Forteca fortress: an English fortress built in 1813 for defensive purposes on the foundations of the old Venetian tower.

Find on map

Address:

Knežev pro., 20260, Korčula
~120 km away from 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.960882, E17.135667

OREBIĆ OLD TOWN

A small town on the coast of the Pelješac Peninsula. In the past, it was an important maritime centre and was the duke’s seat under the Dubrovnik Administration from 1343 to 1806. Stone tumuli and fortifications date back to the prehistoric times. The traces of a Roman settlements have been found as well. The original core of the Kaštel was built in 1568. The city has a planned organization with four-storey residential buildings along the four streets that guarded the side tower.

Find on map

Address:

Šetalište Kneza Domagoja, 20250, Orebić
~111 km away from 20000, Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.974102, E17.180246