PILE GATE

The entrance to the Old City and home of the statue of Dubrovnik’s patron saint, St. Blaise. Dubrovnik was probably founded in the 1st half of the 7th century after the fall of nearby Epidaurum (today’s Cavtat) during Avro -Slavic invasion of Dalmatia. During the period of independence of Dubrovnik, the state administration was in hands of the aristocracy. The administrative bodies were Upper Council and the Lower Council and, from 1253, the Senate. Its peak reached in the 15th and 16th century.

Find on map

Address:

Pile Gate, Ulica Vrata od Pila, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.64176, E18.10672

ONOFRIO'S FOUNTAOINS

On the western extension of the Placa on Pojana Paskoja Miličevića is the Big Onofrio’s Fountain, a sixteen-sided container with a cupola as one of its ending points.The designs for it were made by Onofrio dell Cava in 1438 and the construction was finished in 1444. The cupola was made by Peter Martinov from Milan. The fountain was partly damaged by the earthquake in 1667.

Find on map

Address:

Velika Onofrijeva fontana, Poljana Paska Miličevića, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.64153, E18.10727

STRADUN STREET

The main artery of the old town, the so-called Placa (Stradun) is 292 m long and connects the Gate of Pile with Gate of Ploče. This has also been the direction of the main sewer system after the Regulations on Hygienic Measures were passed in the 13th century. There are many Different shops situated on both sides of the street.

Find on map

Address:

Stradun, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.64144, E18.10838

FRANCISAN MONASTERY

Next to the Gate of Pile is the Franciscan monastery with a church. The construction of a monastery started in 1317 and is constructed in Romanesque-Gothic transitional style.The church was probably finished in 1343 and the bell Tower was finished in 1424. After the earthquake in 1667, the Gothic tip was replaced by a dome-shaped roof. The altar and interior sections belong to the period of Baroque while the pulpit dates back to the 15th century.The monastery keeps the utensils of the old monastery pharmacy, that existed as early as 1317.

Find on map

Address:

Franjevački samostan, Placa 2, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.641739, E18.107474

CHURCH OF ST. SAVIOUR

Opposite of the main entrance to the Franciscan church is the church of St. Salvatore, built in the Renaissance style, 1520-1528 master Petar Andrijić. Among the paintings, the most notable is the Assumption, a work by Petar from Urbin 1527. Along the church is the way to the town ramparts.

Find on map

Address:

Crkva sv. Spasa, Poljana Paska Miličevića, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.641675, E18.107371

CHURCH OF ST. BLAISE

On the southern side is the Baroque Church of St. Blaise built by Marino Gropelli in 1706-1714. Inside, the gold-plated,silver statue of St. Blaise with a scale model of the town from the mid-15th century can be found on the main altar. Also,two stone statues can be found inside the church, St. Blaise and St. Jerome, works by the Brač sculptor Nikola Lazanić from the end of the 16th century, which are originally from the old church of St. Blaise from the 14th century. Although it is a centralised church with a dome, its dominant feature is its main facade,resembling a theatrical backdrop for an open-air stage.

Find on map

Address:

Crkva svetog Vlaha, Luža ul. 2, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.640711, E18.110324

SMALL ONFORIO'S FOUNTAIN

It is located at the eastern end of Stradun, the Small Fountain in Dubrovnik, the work of Pierto Martini of Milan 1446. It was called Onofrio’s Fountain for a long time,after Onofrio dellla Cava, the constructor of Dubrovnik’s aqueduct, but the sculptural work is in fact by a master from the largest workshop in Italy at that time, which was involved in the building of the Milan cathedral.

Find on map

Address:

 Luža ul. 2, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.64089247690, E18.1105917692

ORLANDO'S COLUM

Bonino of Milan Orlando 1418, sculpture in Dubrovnik.The face and hair are still, while the knightly armour,shield and sword are executed in naturalistic detail.Such statues, symbols of chivalry, were common in northern European cities. The statue of the knight was carved in stone. This was the place where all public announcements and proclamations were made but also a place where public punishments were also taking place. The knight’s right arm,from fingertips to elbow was the official unit length of the Dubrovnik Republic.

Find on map

Address:

Orlandov stup, Luža ul. 2, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.641003, E18.110363

THE TOWN BELFRY, LUŽA ZVONARA

The eastern side of Luža is enclosed by Luža Zvonara,the Town Belfry and the Main Guard House. The bells from Luža Zvonara, built in 1463, were used to mark the beginning of the council sessions and to sound alerts. The clock with two wooden human figures striking the hours was made by Luka, a son of the admiral Miho. The bell standing in the belfry today is from 1506, a work by Ivan KrstiteljRabljanin. The Town Belfry was completely restored in 1929.

Find on map

Address:

Luža i Gradski zvonik, Luža ul., 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.640958, E18.110610

SPONZA PALACE

On the northern side of Luž, Square is the monumental Sponza. It was built in the period 1515-1522, in the transitional style from Gothic to Renaissance, according to the designs by Paskoje Miličević while the stonemasonry was done by Nikola and Josip Andrijić. The palace of the Dubrovnik mint and customs house, designed by Paskoje Miličević and built by the local masters from 1517-1523 is in mixed Gothic–Renaissance style where the ground door is influenced by the Renaissance, the first floor influenced by Gothic style, the second floor influenced again by the Renaissance and the roof ornaments in Gothic style, again. The Ground floor loggia of the Rector’s Palace, Dubrovnik,was restored by Michelozzi 1463 in Renaissance style,while the upper floor was completed in Gothic style with two-light windows by local masters – hence the upside down effect of the earlier style above the later.It was built according to the designs by Onofrio della Cava on the location of a fortified palace from 12th or 13th century which was destroyed in a powder explosion in 1435.

Find on map

Address:

Sponza Palace, Stradun 2, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.64106, E18.11056

DUBROVNIK CATHEDRAL

The cathedral was built at the end of the 17th and early 18th century. Valuable pictures and relics can be found inside the Cathedral. The treasury of the cathedral contains 132 relics of saints dating from the 11th-19th century.The full name of the Cathedral is “Cathedral of the Assumption of Mary”. According to one legend, the Romanesque cathedral from the 12th century was built with the money of the English king Richard the Lionheart who landed in Lokrum after surviving the shipwreck not far from Lokrum Island. It happened when he was returning from the Third Crusade in 1192.As a sign of gratitude, he gave 100.000 ducats, which was a huge amount of money at that time, to build the church.It was the first Romanesque basilica in the eastern Adriatic that had an influence on the architecture of churches in this region.The treasury of the Dubrovnik cathedral keeps the relics of St. Blaise, patron of Dubrovnik as well as numerous paintings and works of art.

Find on map

Address:

Katedrala Uznesenja Marijina, Ul. kneza Damjana Jude 1, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.640094, E18.110531

DOMINICAN MONASTERY

The Dominican monastery in Dubrovnik was founded in 1225. The reconciliation of the church with the state,which follows the history of the small commercial republic, happened at the beginning of the 14th century and was marked by the construction of a Dominican monastery and church near the city’s fortifications and walls. The annunciation happened in 1513 by the Dominican church, in Dubrovnik. Combining the experience of various Italian Renaissance trends, Božidarević created a distinguished work with an exquisitely painted blue vase in the center.

Find on map

Address:

Dominikanski samostan, Ul. Svetog Dominika 4, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.641681, E18.111584

PLOČE GATE

Above the gate, in a niche, is the statue of the patron saint of Dubrovnik, St. Blaise, the oldest of numerous statues of that kind found in the town. The interior doors are built in Romanesque style, as well as the character of the St. I above them. The stone bridge leads over the town moat. Close to the eastern top is the outer part of the Gate of Ploče, the main entrance into the town from the east.

Find on map

Address:

Ul. Frana Supila 2, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.642029, E18.112967

CITY WALLS

The main wall is 1.94 km long. It was reinforced by three circular and 14 quadrangular towers, five bastions, two angular fortifications and a large fortress called Sveti Ivan. Among the towers, the most monumental is the circular tower of Minčeta situated on the north-western corner.The einforcement includes one large and nine smaller semi-circular bastions and the casemate fortress Bokar,the oldest preserved fortress of its kind in Europe.The town was also defended by the two independent fortresses: Revelin, on the eastern side, built in the period from 1539-1551 and Lovrijenac on the western side,situated at a 46-m high climb above the sea. According to the chronicles, its onstruction started in 1050.

Find on map

Address:

Stradun, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.64105, E18.11061

LOVRIJENAC FORT

On the western side situated at 46-m high climb above the sea. According to the chronicles, its construction started in 1050. The fortress is famous for its performances and weddings and, most importantly, as a historical symbol of resistance to the Venetian republic.

Find on map

Address:

Lovrijenac, Ul. od Tabakarije 29, 20000 Dubrovnik

 

GPS coordinate:

N42.64087, E18.10431

BENEDICT MONASTERY

The Benedictines built the monastery with a church in 1023. The basilica, built in Romanesque style was twice extended so that it could also serve as a bell tower. The church, the old monastery and a part of the new monastery date from the beginning of 14th century and were severely damaged in the disastrous earthquake in 1667. A legend has it that, in a raging storm, the English king Richard the Lionheart landed in Lokrum during his trip back home from one of the Crusades.

Find on map

Address:

Benediktinski samostan, Lokrum ul., 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.624188, E18.120516

RECTOR'S PALACE

One of the most important monuments in Dubrovnik is Rector’s Palace that served as the head of government in Ragusa and as a rector’s home as well as a dungeon.The original building, built around 1200, was completely destroyed in 1435 by the explosions of gunpowder. Another explosion in 1463 completely devastated the second floor. Today, this beautiful a Croatian Palace is the Home Museum and its exhibitions, as well as numerous concerts of classical music, which are held in its yard during the Dubrovnik Summer Games .

Find on map

Address:

Knežev dvor, Ul. Pred Dvorom 3, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.64071, E18.11048

CHURCH OF OUR ST. IGNATUS

Walking through Androvićeva Street, stairway leads to Poljana Ruđera Boškovića, with the Baroque Jesuit church of St. Ignatus built in 1725, according to the designs by wall painter by G. Garcia 1737-1738. The bell tower houses the oldest bell of Dubrovnik, cast in 1355 by Viventius and his son Viator.

Find on map

Address:

Crkva Svetog Stjepana, Ul. Ilije Sarake 6, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.63941, E18.10936

MARITIME MUSEUM

The Maritime Museum located inside the fortress of Sveti Ivan has a number of exhibits on a permanent display, related to the maritime affairs of Dubrovnik and Croatia as a whole, with a particular emphasis on the history of the Dubrovnik Republic.

Find on map

Address:

Dubrovački muzeji – pomorski muzej, Ul. kneza Damjana Jude 12, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.639858, E18.112260

FRANCISCAN MUSEUM

The museum of the Franciscan monastery keeps all of the inventories of the old pharmacy, as well as the work of Dubrovnik jewellers, painters and embroiders.

Find on map

Address:

Franciscan Monastery, Placa 2, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.641667, E18.107552

DOMINICAN MUSEUM

The museum of the Dominican monastery exhibits valuable examples of Dubrovnik painting from the 15th and 16th centuries, as well as sculptural jewellery,manuscripts, incunabula and notes.

Find on map

Address:

Dominikanski samostan, Ul. Svetog Dominika 4, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.641681, E18.111584

ETHNOGRAPHICAL MUSEUM

The Rupe Ethnographical Museum presents traditional occupations and rural architecture of the Dubrovnik region including national costumes and hand-made textiles.

Find on map

Address:

Museo Etnográfico Rupe, Ul. Frana Supila 23, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.641730, E18.117832

AQUARIUM

Aquarium of Institute of Biology, located in the fortress of St. Ivan, comprising of interesting marine species.

Find on map

Address:

Akvarij Dubrovnik, Ul. kneza Damjana Jude 2, 20000 Dubrovnik

GPS coordinate:

N42.639954, E18.112179