VEPRINAC FORTRESS

Recognisable by the bell tower of the parish church of St. Mark, Veprinac is a medieval town located at the top of the hill on the eastern slopes of Učka. Town also features an old castle and the church of St. Mark, the patron saint of the city.  Town loggia can be found under the walls and the gothic chapel of St. Ana is located in front of the city doors. Opatija was first mentioned in 1351 at the time of Rudolf Devinsky and in the rebellion of Hugo Devin in 1374. Devinci, the family name taken from the castle of Devin or Duina, near Trieste, ruled Rijeka until 1399 when their last male descendant died. In 1465 Veprinac, Kastav and Mošćenice came under the rule of the Habsburgs, and from 1637 to 1773 Veprinac was governed by the Rijeka Jesuit Order. As Veprinac was part of Kastva, it was taken over in 1843 by Rijeka shipowner Djuro Vranyczany. After the abolition of the feudal system in 1848, the castle came under state administration.

Find on map

Address:

Stari grad, 51414, Veprinac
~8km away from 51410, Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.337938, E14.278938

BOLJUN FORTRESS

The name of fortress comes from the Slavic tribe and is located at the foothill of Učka. The Franks conquered Istria in 788 and set up a feudal system. The area was divided into smaller landholdings on which castles are formed. Due to their number and position, they served as an excellent defence of the entire territory. The fort had a very complicated history from its very beginnings, mostly due to its location along the road itself, which was once the main and only road leading across the Učka Mountain to Istria. It was a part of the Uskok War, however, this area remained unconquered. After the Uskok War, the fortress began to slowly deteriorate. Even though there was a long period of peace, the population decided to leave this area due to the fear of new attacks.

Find on map

Address:

Church of St. Cosmas and Damian, 52434, Boljun
~29 km away from 51410, Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.302322, E14.120752

KRŠAN FORTRESS

For the first time mentioned in 1274 under name Castrum Carsach, it was under the rule of the Aquila patriarchs until 1274. After the patriarchs, the fort came under the authority of the Pazin duke (“knez” in Croatian). In 1268, it was destroyed and abandoned and remained as such until the end of the 13th and beginning of the 14th century when Heinrich III. Goricki decided to restore the castle. This marks the beginning of the rule of lord Gorički and Aquilean Church. After the Gorički family died out in 1374, Kršan was not returned to the Patriarchs of Aquila. It was given to the Habsburg family. They decide to give it in 1374 to the family Crotendorfer, who from then came to be known as Kršan. The castle was owned by them until 1631 after which it was managed by families Devinski, Walsee and Wolf. The town can be entered from the eastern side through the fully preserved city gate, and from the right side of the town where a defensive wall can be found leaning onto a number of old houses, the first one being a county municipal house. The last owner of the castle in Kršan was Giovanni Tonetti who, in time of the Labin republic, decided to support the miners, and later fight on side of the partisan during the war.

Find on map

Address:

Kršanski Kaštel Ili stari grad Kršan,D64 4-2 52232, Kršan
~44 km away from 51410, Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.171266, E14.137690

ŠUMBER FORTRESS

Located on the eastern hill of the river Raša, the remains of the medieval castles built in the 13th century on the border between the Venetian and Austrian parts of Istria can be found. It got its name from the castle owners, the Schomberg or Schemperger family. Below the castle, you can find the church of St. Ivan and Paul from the 17th century. According to the story, the castle was given to them by an Oglej patriarch, sometimes during the 14th century. Another interpretation is that the family bought the castle and the estate from Mainhard of Račica. Nevertheless, the old castle is full of interesting and valuable sacral buildings that are well preserved, such as church of St. Kvirin, Church of St. Ivan and Pavle, and the church of St. Mary.

Find on map

Address:

Šumber 19, 52231, Šumber
~44 km away from 51410, Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.158714, E14.102929

KOŽLJAK FORTRESS

First mentioned in 1102 under the name “castrum Josilach”, the frequent conflicts and various debts of its owners meant that the caste often changed hands, from the Gorički counts, Venetians, Aquila Patriarch and finally Austria. The Aquila Patriarchate decided to give it to the counts of Gorički in the 13th century and later gave it to the Guteneck family. At the end of the 14th century it was owned by Philip Gotnikar and his sons Herman and Nikola, and in 1436 it came under the rule of the family Mojsijević from Senj. In 1518, it was given to his nephews: Nicholas Marches, Castellano, Ivan Barbo, and Jakov Nikolić from Senj. Josip Nikolić, one of the masters of Kožljak, was killed by the peasants during the rebellion. He was known as an arrogant and cruel ruler. In 1600 the family of Nikolic’s became extinct and Barbo family became the sole owner of Kožljak. Barbo family decided to sell the town to Auersperg family in 1668. During their rule, the old castle was forever abandoned.

Find on map

Address:

Kožljak Castle, 52233, Kožljak
~42 km away from 51410, Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.196220, E14.191389

VOJAK FORT

Located at the highest peak of Učka at 1,401 meters above sea level, it was built in 1911 during the time of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy due to its extremely important location overlooking Istria and the Kvarner Bay as well as nearby islands and the Alps in neighbouring Italy. After the proclamation of the mountain Učka and part of Ćićarija as Učka Nature Park, the tower of Vojak becomes the symbol of Učka Nature. The tower is over 105 years old. Today the information centre can be found inside of it as well as a souvenir shop. It also offers a breath-taking place for sight-seeing, with telescopes offering a better view of the surrounding landscape. It is one of the favourite destinations of domestic and foreign tourists.

Find on map

Address:

Vojak, 51415, Liganj
~23 km away from 51410, Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.286502, E14.202487

MOŠĆENICE OLD TOWN

Located at 173 m above sea level, the city is almost 600 years old and changed its rulers very frequently. As part of the Austrian province, Mošćenice became an independent municipality in 1896. The historic core of Mošćenice was listed in the register of cultural heritage in 1968. One of the most interesting places to visit is the sacral heritage of Mošćenice. There are a number of interesting features to be noted: The parish church of St. Andrew the Apostle, the church of St. Bartol, the Church of St. Sebastian and Chapel of the Cross on Calvary Hill.

Find on map

Address:

Crkva sv. Bartona, 51417, Mošćenice
~16 km away from 51410, Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.226548, E14.248500

KASTAV OLD TOWN

It is located at 365 meters above the sea level. According to the archaeological finds, the Illyrian tribe Japoda occupied this land as early as the 9th century BC. Cr. Kastav was ruled by the Romans, the Ostrogoths, the Greeks, the Langobards, and in 7th century, by Croats. During the 17th century, Kastav was owned by the Jesuits. In 18th century, the Jesuits started a construction of a large church Crekvine, however when the Jesuit order was abolished in 1773, the construction of church is stopped. After the abolition of the Jesuit order, Kastav came under the rule of the Austrian Chamber of Commerce. Kastav had many different rulers until 1848, when the general freedom of the land was proclaimed. The last owner of Kastav was Juraj Vranyczany Dobrinović (until 1848). After the First World War, the town was divided between the Kingdom of Italy and the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. After 1945, the town was united with Croatia as a part of Yugoslavia, and since 1991 they are part of a sovereign and independent Republic of Croatia which and Kastav got its city status back in 1997.

Find on map

Address:

Trg Matka Laginje 12A, 51215, Kastav
~7 km away from 51410, Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.372702, E14.348851

BRSEČ FORTRESS

Preserved to this day with its recognisable streets and passages, the old core around which the settlement, walls, forts and church bells later developed, belong to the early Middle Ages. Most of the townhouses were built in the 17th century. In the Middle Ages, it was owned by the bishop of Pula, lords Devin, the princes of Gorički, and finally the Pazin duke (knez). The fortifications have been built in the house rows. The massive Renaissance-Baroque bell-tower of the church also had a defensive role. In the baroque church of St. Juraj, highlighted fragments of late-20th century frescoes and altar objects can be found. They are believed to be from the 17th century. It should be noted that the Brseč Town is protected as a cultural monument.

Find on map

Address:

Crkva sv. Jurja, 51418, Brseč
~23 km away from 51410, Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.179265, E14.235562

HUM FORTRESS

Hum was built on the remains of an old fortress in the early Middle Ages, more precisely in the 11th century. It is said that the spirits of the past can be felt at every step. This beautiful fortress on the hill has survived an extremely turbulent past. It is assumed that the Histri, an Illyrian tribe that once lived in Istria, built this castle as a refuge from robbers. Through the numerous attacks that it survived during its history, Hum started blossoming in the 16th century and today it is a living monument of history and the value of cultural heritage. Also, it is the smallest city in the world, as recorded in the Guinness Book of Records.

Find on map

Address:

Castello di Hum,52425, Hum
~33 km away from 51410, Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.348488, E14.050228