VILLA ANGIOLINA

The building was built in 1844 and served as the former centre of entertainment of the elite. It is located in the middle of the botanical garden and today contains the Museum of Tourism.The beginnings of tourism in Opatija are linked to the construction of Villa Angiolina built by Higinio von Scrapa. It included a beautiful green and a lavish park around it that visited by distinguished guests such as the Croatian Viceroy Josip Jelačić, the Austrian Empress Maria Anna and it soon made Opatija a popular excursion destination of the inhabitants from Rijeka . A historic upturn in the development of the town occurred in 1844 when a prominent Rijeka citizen, Iginio Scarpa, built a summer residence alongside the 16th century Church of St. James. He called it Villa Angiolina, after his wife. Thanks to the hospitality of the Scarpas, Villa Angiolina became the centre of the social life of Istria and Opatija became a prominent place to visit.

Find on map

Address:

Villa Angiolina, Park Angiolina 1, 51410 Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.335445, E14.308774

MAIDEN WITH A SEAGULL

After the death of Count Arthur Kesselstadt in 1891 during a storm near Opatija, his family decided to erect a statue of “Madonna del Mare” in his memory. It was a work of Hans Rathauski from Graz. As the years passed, the statue had to undergo restoration due to the damage from environmental factors. The statue is located in the Museum of Tourism in Opatija (Villa Angiolina) while the gilded replica stands in front of the church of Sa. Jakov.Since the place where the original statue was located lay empty, a new statue was placed in its spot in 1956- “The Maiden with a Seagull” by the author Zvonko Car. The sculpture was built within the year. Even though the identity of the girl represented was unknown for some time, she later decided to reveal herself to the public. The seagull also had a fish in its beak, however, it disappeared after some time and the culprit was never found. The author was frequently asked about the identity of the woman and he answered with “Those interested are free to speculate”.

Find on map

Address:

Djevojka s galebom, Ul. Maršala Tita 113, 51410 Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.333274, E14.306633

LUNGOMARE PROMENADE

The 12km Franz Joseph Promenade, stretching from Volosko, Opatija to Lovran, was built during the end of the 19th century and the early beginning of the 20th century. The promenade was built in phases with the first part, Volosko to Opatija, built in 1889 and the second part, Opatija to Lovran, in 1911. It is a perfect place for relaxation, recreation and enjoying the sounds of the sea. The Lungo Mare promenade is a favourite among the locals of Opatija. The promenade was built After Opatija acquired the status of a health resort in 1889. The true value and attraction of Opatija is the harmony of human creativity and the ambiance of nature. It represents a unique attraction since the promenade is surrounded by beautiful cypress and oak trees.

Find on map

Address:

Lungomare Opatija, Obalno šetalište Franje Josipa I, 51410 Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.332061, E14.302610

FOREST WALKWAY CARMEN SYLVA

Situated on the slopes of Učka near Opatija at the elevation of 50 to 180m above the sea is the walkway “Aurora”. It was built in 1890 and expanded in 1901 on the decree of Romanian king Carol and his wife Elizabeta (a poet who wrote under the pseudonym Carmen Sylvia) who financed the expansion.

Find on map

Address:

Put u Bregi 29-25, 51410 Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.342397, E14.304211

CROATIAN MUSEUM OF TOURISM

Situated inside two buildings – vila Angiolina, under the name “Opatija- the golden beginning of Croatian tourism” and in Art pavilion “Juraj Šporer” is the Croatian Museum of Tourism. It was founded un 2007 and is the first Croatian museum of tourism.Both buildings are located in park Angolia near the coast. Villa Angiolina is surrounded by the park, more precisely, the arboretum, which also serves as a display of horticultural heritage. It was built in the 19th century and is one of the oldest buildings in Opatija and holds a title of one of the most beautiful residential villas. It features diverse and interesting museum collections some of which are: Collection of posters and advertisements showing the historical development of tourist advertising, Collection of maps and plans, Collection of photographs and postcards and if you are a fan of souvenirs, the Collection of souvenirs. Take a step inside the history of beginnings of tourism in Opatija.

Find on map

Address:

Hrvatski muzej turizma, Park Angiolina 1, 51410 Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.335445, E14.308774

SAINT JAMES PARK AND ANGIOLINA PARK

Jakov Park – Botanical garden with the surface area of 3.64 ha features around 150 plant species from different parts of the world. Alongside the beautiful Magnolia, the most well-known is Japanese Camellia (Camellia Japonica) which became the symbol of Opatija during its history.The botanical garden was established around 1420 as a colony of Benedictines who escaped from the furlan monastery of St. Petar in Rožac.  It preserved very little of its original look. Abbot Šimun built or rebuilt the church (which can be confirmed by the inscription above the door portal) in 1506 and it was further renovated at the end of 18th century as well as further expanded around the 1930s. The replica of the relief Pieta by the famous sculptor Ivan Meštrović can also be found inside the church.

Angiolina Park – The park was built in the period of 1845 to 1860 and is located in the area of Villa Angiolina which was owned by Ignio Scarpa. The park features the flora of Japan, China, South America, Australia and other parts of the world. Among the plants, Japanese Camellia (Camellia Japonica) is the most prominent and is the symbol of Opatija. As the ownership of the land changed, it came into possession of Southern Railway Company in 1882. As the health resort was being built, so was the old park rebuilt and expanded. Carl Schubert, the director of the Viennese Imperial-Royal Society, is the key person who designed, reconstructed and expanded the park. From 1883 to 1886, the part of the park situated in front of Villa Angiolina, Hotel Kvarner and Hotel Imperijal was built. Iginio Ritter von Scrapa bought the land near the church in 1844 and built the luxurious mansion. The mansion was named after his wife Angiolina- Villa Angiolina. As the time went by, the villa became the centre of social life and meeting point for the distinguished guests such as Austrian queen Maria Anna, the wife of Ferdinand I of Austria. As more entrepreneurs came to Opatija, the hotel was built and it started to develop as a health and tourist centre.

Find on map

Address:

Park Svetog Jakova 1, 51410 Opatija

Park Angiolina 3, 51410 Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.335942, E14.308566
N45.334117, E14.307128

PARK MARGARITA

With the surface area of 3.5 ha, the work on the park started after 1900. A central part of the park, according to the data from 1915, is fully preserved. As Opatija developed as a tourist destination, the surface of the parks shrunk and their appearance was disturbed. On further research, it was found that certain plants (oak, bearberry, Juda’s tree) predated the park itself. This shows that certain plants were preserved as the park was being built around them. The central part of the park is quite open due to being sheltered from the wind while the marginal parts are surrounded by laurel and other ornamental plants.

Find on map

Address:

Park Margarita, 51410 Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.334592, E14.302118

JURAJ SPONER ARTS PAVILION

Arts Pavillion is located next to Lungomare promenade. It was built during the reign of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. In 1899, “Pavillon für eine Conditorei” (Pastry shop pavilion) was built in the most beautiful part of Opatija. The plan for pavilion was made by the famous architectural bureau in Vienna.The pavilion was expanded to its current size in 1908 by the architect Sandor Neuhausler and in 1925 by the architect Rikard Tomašić. The shape and construction of the pavilion were inspired by Vienna Secession. Large rectangular doors are completely made of glass. Pavillion “Juraj Šporer” was named after the Croatian doctor and author who was responsible for Opatija becoming the health resort it is today. The pavilion was completely reconstructed in 2003 and is used today as a place for concerts, exhibitions, receptions, presentations and workshops.

Find on map

Address:

Umjetnički paviljon Juraj Matija Šporer, Park Svetog Jakova 1, 51410 Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.333782, E14.306860

SWISS HOUSE

“Swiss house” is first mentioned in 1875 when its ownership was given to Count Viktor Chorinski from Paolo Scrapa. It shows the history of Opatija which was always breath-taking for its visitors and it is organised in a way which blends the different parts of history from room to room.In 1884, it became the property of Southern Railway Company, it was adapted and expanded and called Schweizerhaus or Schwizerhütte. In the spirit of the local language, it was translated to “Švicarska kuća” (Swiss house) or “Švicarska koliba” (Swiss cottage) and was used as a place where the servants could prepare domestic dairy products for their masters. During the time of Italian rule, it became a gardening house and it is in the service of Angiolina park so far.

Find on map

Address:

 Park Angiolina 2, 51410 Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.336214, E14.308598

CROATIAN WALK OF FAME

The Croatian “Walk of Fame” is a unique monument to the people who helped promote Croatia in the world and is located on the Opatija promenade. 32 stars can be found on the promenade that feature many famous Croatians in various fields of science, sport, arts and culture. The first eight stars feature: Nikola Tesla, Miroslav Radman, Dragutin Tadijanović, Miroslav Krleža, Dražen Petrović, Janica Kostelić, Krešimir Ćosić and Oliver Dragojević.The most famous stars feature Tesla and Dražen. The project started in 2005 and was launched by the mayor of Opatija.

Find on map

Address:

Hrvatska ulica slavnih, Slatina, 51410 Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.332669, E14.303396

THE OPEN-AIR THEATRE

The main venue for all of the activities during summer is The open-air Theatre that marked its 60th anniversary in 2017. It was opened on July 15, 1957, with the opera “Ero s onoga svijeta” by Gotovac. The first opera in this area was “Aida” performed in 1931 in the space of today’s Summer Stage. The Summer Stage is one of the most beautiful open-air theatres in the Mediterranean.

Find on map

Address:

Ljetna pozornica, Zert ul. 8, 51410 Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.335185, E14.309927

ST. JAMES CHURCH

Sadly, the church kept very little of its original look. The common assumption is that it was built by abbot Šimun during the 16th century, completely renovated at the end of 18th century and significantly expanded during the 1930s. Built back in 1506 and extended in 1937, it is the place where today’s Opatija emerged. Monastery of St. Jakov can with certainty be attributed to Benedictine order in the Middle Ages. The monastery was a central part around which the settlement, and later city, of Opatija was being developed. The very city of Opatija was named after this monastery (from the Croatian word opatija, denoting a monastery). In 2008, St. Jakov was pronounced the patron of the city. During its long history, the monastery was extended, upgraded and renovated. The Benedictine order abandoned it during the 16th century due to Black Plague and frequent pirate raids. After that, the monastery was managed by The Order of St. Basil.From 1965, the monastery and the church are managed by Jesuits.It became a district in 2006. The church is believed to be constructed by Benedictines who escaped from the monastery of St. Petar in Rožac.

Find on map

Address:

Park Svetog Jakova 3, 51410 Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.334089, E14.307256

FOUNTAIN OF HELIOS AND SELENA

Located in the park across the Hotel Imperial is the Fountain of Helios and Selena. The author of the fountain is the sculptor Hans Rathautsky from Graz. The fountain depicts Sun and Moon, personified in the characters of mythological brother and sister. Selena is a goddess and personification of the Moon and Helios is her brother, god and personification of the Sun. After he concludes his way around the heavens she takes his place. The origin of the name Selena is not certain; however, it is believed to be of Greek origin and is connected to the word “selas” meaning light.

Find on map

Address:

Ul. Maršala Tita 107, 51410 Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.334142, E14.306365

CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF THE ANNUNCIATION

Church of Our Lady of the Annunciation is one of the most beautiful buildings in Opatija. At the beginning of the 20th century, Opatija was ruled by municipality leader Andrija Stanger and head Julius Glax. Opatija became health resort with tens of thousands of visitors every year, including some prominent people from that age including artists and scientists. The big earthquake of 1889 greatly damaged the church and it needed to be renovated. The renovation of the church and the bell tower started in 1892 under the leadership of Herman Bolle. The renovation lasted until 1896 and the church kept its original look even today. The last renovation was done from 1995 until 1997 where both the churches’ interior and exterior were renovated in the style of Romanesque Revival.

Find on map

Address:

Ul. Joakima Rakovca 22, 51410 Opatija

GPS coordinate:

N45.331296, E14.300314

LOVRAN

As a town with a long history, Lovran got its name from laurel (lovor in Croatia) which is plentiful in its evergreen groves inside and outside the city. Its historical core contains medieval urban concept. The influence of Mediterranean climate, lush Meditteranean vegetation and favourable geographical position enabled the development of tourism at the turn of the 19th century when many villas and summer houses were built. Since then, Lovran has been the most important place of the prestigious Riviera, alongside Opatija.

Find on map

Address:

51415 Lovran

GPS coordinate:

N45.292974, E14.276343

MOŠĆENIČKA DRAGA

Mošenićka draga, a locality about 15km from Opatija is one of the most beautiful pebble beaches on the Adriatic, residents of nearby towns cross miles to enjoy its beauty. The locality currently has a population of 500 with the main source of income being tourism, so the hotel staff, campers and numerous private villas and houses emphasize hospitality. To fully experience the charms of life in a seaside town, tourists can catch fishing trails every morning in the harbour.

Find on map

Address:

51417 Mošćenička Draga

GPS coordinate:

N45.238675, E14.252427

MATULJI

Matulji, known under the name “Gates of Kvarner”, experienced great development in 1873 when the first train from Vienna arrived at the newly constructed railway station. Prominent European citizens quickly realised that the quickest way to Liburnija is by train which is a man mode of transportation for tourists even today. The place offers a blend of Kvarner and the mountain hinterland, so guests can enjoy chilly nights as well as cycling and hiking, while the nearest sea is less than 2 kilometres away.

Find on map

Address:

51211 Matulji

GPS coordinate:

N45.363978, E14.325546