THE CITY GATES AND RAMPARTS

EASTERN CITY GATES are not preserved, but there are material remains that prove their existence. They were fixed on one side in the construction of the Pentagonal tower.The town’s rampart towards mainland south of the Pentagonal tower to the Round Tower was not preserved, that is, in the Middle Ages houses were built inside of it. Part of the ramparts from the Pentagonal towards the North tower Peškeri is partially preserved, but in a rather poor condition. The system of the town’s ramparts originates from the ancient times, and reconstructions and adaptations had occurred occasionally from the 12th to the 16th century, always on the foundations of the old ones. The lengthiest date back to the 13th century when the town was ran by Warnerio de Gillago. In the 15th century, under the threat of Turkish conquests, special attention was paid to the construction of defense towers, which have been preserved to date.

Find on map

Address:

Prolaz Peškera

GPS coordinate:

N45.22803, E13.59515

THE PENTAGONAL TOWER

THE PENTAGONAL TOWER was given to build in 1447 by the former city Mayor Nicolò Lion on the foundations of the earlier, medieval tower, which was built on the foundations of the ancient one.All three layers of the tower are visible today, because, after the detailed research at the end of the 20th century, it was decided to present the layered structure of the building.After restoration, according to the strict instructions of the conservator, the restaurant was arranged inside the tower, but sightseeing is available to everyone. On the outer part at the top of the tower, there is a relief depicting Saint Marc, on which the builders of the tower have entered their names, Ivan and Lazar de Pari.

Find on map

Address:

Decumanus 2

GPS coordinate:

N45.2276944, E13.594583

THE ROUND TOWER

It was built in 1474 during the government of Pietro da Mula. The flagstone with his initials and the year of completion of the construction was walled into the south side, in the top of the tower. The layout of the tower is of a regular circular shape, but in the interior of the tower there is a plexus of the irregular corridors, passages, climbs and the spaces of the loopholes. The tower was given to build by the Venetian Republic at the time of the most recent reconstruction of Poreč’s city walls due to threatening Ottoman dangers. Openings of the loophole and the original steep stone stairs are preserved in the interior of the tower.

Find on map

Address:

Narodni trg

GPS coordinate:

N45.2270278, E13.594138888888889

NORTH TOWER PEŠKERA

NORTH TOWER PEŠKERA, ruined and with inland filled with soil, still waits  for its research and renovation. It is located in the northeast of the Old Town core, in the Peskera Bay. It was built in 1473 by Francesco Bondulmier. Around the present peninsula and between the three towers, city ramparts that were separated from the mainland by a ditch had been built. The former city gates were located at the gateway to the city, which was next to the tower. At the outer part of the stone tower there are several openings for the looms and the cannons. The bottom of the tower was first built like the bottom of the cone, and later they had a roller shape, which increased their strength and reduced the damage caused by the cannon balls. Nowadays, the remains of the tower are visible from the promenade in the northern part of the city.

Find on map

Address:

dr. Ante Šonje Obala (old town), Poreč 52440

GPS coordinate:

N45.228256, E13.594953

THE GOTHIC PALACE

THE GOTHIC PALACE from 1473 has a luxurious stone facade built in the style of the flower Gothic style. The palace has two floors, and the facade is embellished with monofores and triforces – decorated with single and triple window openings.Throughout history, a series of palaces of eminent and wealthy families has been built in the main street. Only some are well preserved to date, for example, the one in number 5, whose interior is now divided into several residential units. At Decumanus, those are palaces on house numbers 10, 15 and 30. On the corner of Decumanus and Card is the Zucatto Palace, which is nowadays a gallery, and in both streets there is a block of relatively well-preserved Gothic houses.

Find on map

Address:

Decumanus 5, 52440 Poreč

GPS coordinate:

N45.2277778, E13.59411111111

THE BAROQUE PALACE

THE BAROQUE PALACE from 1719 previously belonged to the Sinčić family. Nowadays, it is the Native Museum of Poreč. It is closed for the public due to the reconstruction of the building and the creation of a new, permanent museum exhibition. The museum houses valuable archaeological findings from Poreč and its surroundings, from prehistoric times to the new era, important historical documents and historical library.

Find on map

Address:

Decumanus 9, 52440 Poreč

GPS coordinate:

45.2278611,13.593277777777779

THE EUPHRASIAN BASILICA IN POREČ

Euphrasian Basilica in Poreč is the most valuable cultural heritage of Poreč, which was listed on UNESCO World Heritage list in 1997. It is the only preserved monument from the early Christian period in the world.It was erected at the time of Bishop Euphrasius in the 6th century. It encompasses the atrium, baptistery, bishop’s palace, mosaics and the remains of the sacral buildings from the period of the 3rd and 4th century. Mosaics, which are painted in the interior and the facade of the church, are considered a valuable legacy of Byzantine art, and thanks to floor mosaics and preserved inscriptions, all the periods of its construction and renovation can be read.

Find on map

Address:

Euphrasia Street 22, 52440 Poreč

GPS coordinate:

N45.228634 E13.593478

KANONIKA

KANONIKA from 1251 is the oldest Romanesque house in Poreč which is preserved in its original appearance, and until today it has remained the office and home of Poreč’s priests. It is beautified by the original stone portal which shows year of construction, and a compact stone facade was decorated by a row of bifores on the floor.

Find on map

Address:

Euphrasia Street 22, 52440 Poreč

GPS coordinate:

N45.2281554, E13.593955599999958

VERGOTTINI PALACE

VERGOTTINI PALACE is a Baroque 18th-century building, now divided into a number of ground-floor shops. Floors have been reconstructed for the past half-century due to the different purposes that the spaces had served It is privately owned and it is not possible to look it around.

Find on map

Address:

Euphrasia Street 37

GPS coordinate:

N45.2283611, E13.592638888888889

ISTRIAN ASSEMBLY HALL

ISTRIAN ASSEMBLY HALL, once the Gothic church and the monastery of St. Francis from the beginning of the 14th century is one more layered Poreč monument that has changed its dimensions and purposes through history.The church and monastery were built on the foundations of the church of St. Thomas from the 5th century, as evidenced by the part of the preserved foundations of the walls and small fragments of floor mosaics presented on the ground floor of the Assembly Hall, under the transparent staircase leading to the solemn hall. It is not known when was the monastery abandoned, and written documents mention that the church was desacralized in 1806 during the  short-term Napoleon’s dominion. Later it was bought by the marquis Francesco Polesini, who gave it to building a horizontal split on the ground floor and floor. In 1861,  the hall on the floor became the city hall of the Provincial Assembly. The ground floor was converted into a wine cellar in which glass-drum barrels were built into, and which have been preserved to date.

Find on map

Address:

Obala Matka Laginje 2, 52440 Poreč

GPS coordinate:

N45.22875, E13.591166666666668

MARAFOR SQUARE

MARAFOR SQUARE used to be the central square, the forum with important public and administrative buildings and temples in the ancient times. Nowadays, it looks quite decrepit, just waiting for the renovation, and a few tens of centimeters beneath the actual parterre is relatively well preserved original antique paving. Part of the building still has a public function – there is the City Library in the interior of which you will see a part of the original antique paving, as well as in the Children’s Library. The ground floors of several buildings have become catering facilities, and a part of the original Marafor pavement and the foundations of the buildings can be seen on the northwest side of the Square.

Find on map

Address:

Trg Marafor, 52440 Poreč

GPS coordinate:

N45.2281944, E13.590805555555557

THE ROMANESQUE HOUSE

The ROMANESQUE HOUSE from the middle of the 13th century is, along with the Kanonika, the oldest preserved house in Poreč. It was restored in the 20th century, when it had received a wooden balcony, which drew attention from the beautiful bifore on the floor. In the last decades, souvenirs are offered on the ground floor, in the summer, and on the first and second floors, experts of the Native Museum have set up an ethnographic collection

Find on map

Address:

Near Decumanus str, oposite Corso restaurant 52440, Poreč

GPS coordinate:

N45.2280857872139, E13.592115640640259

ZUCCATO PALACE

The beautiful Zuccato palace is located on the corner of ancient Roman streets, Decumanus and Carda. The palace was built in the form of a three-storey building with elements of Baroque and Gothic style. The most higlighted are Gothic openings and windows, bifores and monofores with a beautiful tri-flower floral finish. Ground floor and first floor of the palace are built of stone and the second floor of brick. The second floor features various architectural details such as stone windows and reinforcements that stand out against the reddish color. It is interesting to note that the first floor bifore and the first monophore on the facade are made of Korčula stone, which is different in color. The interior layout of the rooms did not preserve its original form.

Find on map

Address:

Ul. Cardo Maximus, 52440, Poreč

GPS coordinate:

45.227861,13.593277

MATIJA GUBEC PARK

One of the most famous persons of the Croatian history was Matija Gubec, who was prominent as the leader of the peasant bun in Slovenia and Croatia. Gubec, before the peasant insurrection, had a role of serf in the property of Franjo Tahi. The peasants ceased to pay taxes to the rulers and armed mercenaries were sent to them. That was the cause of the peasant insurrection, which began in January 1573. Gubec became the leader of the insurrection and raised the rebellion along with Lepoić, Pasanac, Pozepac and Gregorić. Gubec encouraged others to join the rebellion and never gave up. In the battle at Gornja Stubica, the peasants were defeated, and the leader was later executed. A park dedicated to a brave leader is located in the center of town, featuring a children’s playground, where you can watch your youngsters from the bench.

Find on map

Address:

Matija Gubec Square, 52440 Poreč

GPS coordinate:

N45.227558, E13.591985000000022

THE GREAT TEMPLE

THE GREAT TEMPLE is located northwest of Marafor square. The Great Temple are remains (part of the wall and foundations) of the ancient temple from the beginning of the 1st century,  which is considered to be one of the largest in Istria

Find on map

Address:

52440 Poreč

GPS coordinate:

N45.228473425924896, E13.590501263902752

NEPTUNE’S TEMPLE

Neptune’s temple is located in the park west of Marafor Square. Only fragments of the ancient temple devoted to God the Sea of Neptune are preserved. Neptune’s temple was erected at the Poreč forum in the 1st century and is considered the largest in Istria, although only part of the wall and foundations were preserved.
In ancient times, Poreč, like all Roman cities, had a forum, the main town square now called Marafor, and the forum-oriented temple played the role of the Capitoline Temple.

Find on map

Address:

52440 Poreč

GPS coordinate:

N45.228288858980754, E13.590058386325836

THE TWO SAINTS’ HOUSE

The two saints’ house is located in St. Maura Street. It was built in Romanesque style, but was later restored, so its distinctive arched entrance probably originates from the Renaissance.
A small one-storey was built in 14/15. Century. The name was obtained by two stone reliefs of saints with upstairs windows. Due to the position near the former Benedictine monastery of St. Kasiani, some authors thought it was the rest of the monastery complex, but this cannot be confirmed with certainty.

Find on map

Address:

Saint Maura Street 16, 52440 Poreč

GPS coordinate:

N45.2276389, E13.592722222222223

THE THEATER

The theater was built in 1885 as Teatro Giuseppe Verdi. The original appearance was preserved on the front, and the building was adapted to the needs of the Open University in time. Currently, there are a cinema, theater and gallery in the building. Also, there is the Open University of Poreč, a public institution founded in 1960, in charge of conducting various cultural programs, in the building. Its goal is to present citizens with news from education and culture.

Find on map

Address:

Narodni trg 1, 52440 Poreč

GPS coordinate:

N45.226777609837356, E13.594453185796738

CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF THE ANGLES

CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF THE ANGLES is a baroque building from 1770, built on the remains of an early Romanesque church. The beautiful church is a one-nave baroque style building with an 18-meter baroque bell tower, consisting of sacristy, sanctuary, dome and apse. The interior of the church is decorated with several altars, and the main altar features a tabernacle and various statues made of stone.

Find on map

Address:

Trg Slobode 1, 52440 Poreč

GPS coordinate:

N45.22706380572788, E13.595897555351257

THE CITY HALL

The City Hall was built according to the designs of the famous Trieste architect Arduin Berlama in 1910. The beautiful building is characterized by rounded arches on the first floor windows, featuring monofore, bifore and polifore types, while square-foot windows are on the ground floor. Along the windows at the center of the facade, on the first floor, a balcony is also installed. The entrance of the town hall is decorated with broken arches, and nowadays, the municipality of Poreč is located in the City Hall.

Find on map

Address:

Maršal Tito Coast 5/1, 52440 Poreč

GPS coordinate:

N45.226368621129886, E13.59483540058136

THE CHURCH OF SAINT ELEUTHERIUS

It was built in XII. Century on the site of an old Christian building built in honor of the Poreč martyr Eleutherius. The older building was mentioned in 1183. It was founded in 1488, and was restored in 1845, 1929 and 1977. On the front there is a one-pane pruning and a smaller bell. An altar is made of marble with a tabernacle depicting the Blessed Virgin Mary with the Child and two saints. There are choir benches in the Church, which have been donated here to the basilica. In the church there is an old crucifix and a statue of Saint Anthony. There are also aspersion and sacristy in the Church.

Find on map

Address:

Nikola Tesla Street 14, 52440, Porec

GPS coordinate:

N45.22902595257256, E13.599613302167313