GROBNIK FORTRESS

The settlement was build in the early Middle Ages at the 18th century. It is constructed it in the form of a triangle, surrounded by a wall and strengthened with towers. It believes the medieval town of Grobnik to have around 1000 years old histories. The settlement was in the possession of the princes of Frankopan who came in 1225 and they also mention it in 1288 in the Vinodol law bok. The settlement is located on a hill 466 m high above the Grobnik field. They created today’s shape of the fortified town with a castle inside the city walls in the period between the 15th and 17th centuries. After the death of Nikola 4. Frankopan, in 1432, the Franciscan family met in 1449 in place Modruš to share family property among themselves. They assigned Grobnik to Stjepan II. Bernard after he gives it to his son Stjepan III. When the Stjepan 3 died, they introduced the Grobnik to Stjepan sons Juraj, Nikola, and Kristi. In hands of the Zrinski family, the estate was from 1572 to 1671 and from 1685 to 1691. After the Austougoarskom Chamber and Adam Zrinski robbed and operated the Zrinsko-Frankopanske grotesque Grobnik until 1691.Till nationalization in 1945 Grobnik had several owners.

Find on map

Address:

Frankopanski kaštel Grad Grobnik
Grobnik, 51219, Čavle
~13km away from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N45.371279, E14.460914

TRSAT FORTRESS

The Today’s appearance is creditable the last owner, Count Laval Nugent, who bought it in the first half of the 19th century and rebuilt it as a family mausoleum. On a steep canyon of a 135 m high hill Trsat Castle find its perfect place for defense purpose and monitoring the area. He is existence is from the Roman times when they were built and used as their military fortress. For the first time, they mentioned it as the seat of the parish in 1288, serving as a Liburnian observatory from where it was controlled from the interior to the sea. The location was a great place to strengthen the defense system. The starting point for that was Tarsatica, a town fort. In 1223 the Croatian-Hungarian King Andrew II. gave the fort to the princes Frankopan. The Trsat fortress is a witness to the rich history of the city and its history dates back to the prehistoric times of the Romans, Illyrian tribe of Japoda and many other owners. They created the appearance and purpose of the fort in time Frankopans, Habsburgs, Captains from Bakar and at the end of Count Laval Nugent. The Trsat fortress is one of the oldest fortifications in the Croatian Littoral which preserved the features of early modern buildings. The fort has now become the site of many art exhibitions, concerts, theater shows, entertainment programs and a historic museum.

Find on map

Address:

Trsatska Gradina
Trg Riječke rezolucije 1, 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N45.332597, E14.455225

BAKAR, FRANKOPAN FORTRESS

The ancient city and a harbor built amphitheatric on the hill who start as a cultural monument in 1968. They inhabited the area in the 3rd and 2nd millennium BC. The Roman Empire was one of the influential factors that left its clues, followed by the Croat family Frankopan and Zrinski and also the emperor Marija Teresa who awarded town the status of a free royal town in 1779. In 1557, he came under the rule of the Zrinskih princes, who kept him until the collapse of the two families in 1671. The castle then remains neglected, used by the Communist Administration and later by the army. For today’s appearance was responsible the earthquake in 1750. The rich history and cultural heritage can be seen through the Bakar fortress, the rogue town hall, and the church of St. Andrija.

Find on map

Address:

Frankopanski kaštel
Frankopanska ul., 51222, Bakar
~16 km away from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N45.307602, E14.532796

HRELJIN FORTRESS

According to stories during the ancient times, Hreljin was a Roman fortification as an integral part of the entire chain of Roman forts on the shore. In 1225 they transferred the estate to the property of the princes of Krk (Frankopan) with the gift of Croatian-Hungarian King Andrew II. The resort was on a busy road that connected the land with the shore. In the Middle Ages, the old town was a prominent residential, commercial, defensive and administrative center. The Zrinski family owned it from 1550 to 1671. After the execution of Zrinski and Frankopan by the Habsburgs for a certain time the estate manager was the Austro-Hungarian Chamber and from 1778 the town of Bakar. In 1789, the Hreljin settlement was abolished and a year later the castle was abandoned and since then it has collapsed. The castle itself was an irregular shape, the reason being in the form of the terrain on which it was built. Bounded by the walls within which they formed a settlement that comprised a series of defense towers and houses of its inhabitants. They witness the remains of the church by two churches, more their remains: the belfry of the church of St. George and the preserved chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Today the fortress represents the ruined remains of the medieval town of Hreljina.

Find on map

Address:

Hreljin Castle
D501, 51261, Hreljin
~19 km from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N45.274558, E14.602288

NOVA KRALJEVICA, FRANKOPAN CASTEL

The fort is a medieval fortification located on a hill. They attributed the beginning of construction to Petar Zrinski in 1650 of the form a rectangular fortified courtyard with an outer corner of the round towers. They built the castle based on the late Renaissance fort, but with a multitude of Baroque details. They do not know the builder of the castle, but according to the economic and political ties of Petar Zrinskog, they can conclude it that his main builders were from Venetia. The castle since 1883 is coming under the rule of the Jesuits, they are building the second floor and changing the interior floor structure. They shaped the castle in the form of a square of length 44 and a width of 36 m with the yard they fence which with a special wall. In this decorated manor Castell house, Petar Zrinski and his wife Katarina, sister of the countess and poet Fran Krsto Frankopan, were spending most of the time. Although the exterior castle looks like a fortress, its purpose in this is didn’t need that use. In all its interior features they built it as a residential mansion. The collapse of Zrinski and Frankopan in the 1671 castle led to the destruction and many later alterations that changed its appearance. Till today they have preserved the main architectural elements and a significant part of early Baroque architectural plastics and the castle is one of the most important historical buildings of the wider region. They knew it as a former headquarters of the most important Croatian noble families. According to the legend, it was also the place of the Zrinski – Frankopan plan against the dynasty of Habsburg.

Find on map

Address:

Dvorac Frankopan Nova Kraljevica
Rovina ul. 6, 51262, Kraljevica

~22 km away from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N45.275712, E14.564630

ZRINSKI, OLD TOWN, FORTRESS

Built in the first half of the 17th century is one series of fortifications built by the noble family Zrinski in Croatia. The castle comprises two parts with two inner courtyards. On the front place of the castle is a 1790 bell tower with a Baroque dome. Beside the bell tower there is the church of St. Nicholas, the original purpose of the church area was the salt warehouse and was adapted to the sacral purpose in the 18th century. In the castle overdue in time, there was a parish court and many municipal offices under whose administration the old castle later came. Today, there is a municipal administration, along with shops and restaurants, and they have converted part of the rooms on the upper floors into apartments. Due to the many reconstructions and adaptations, it is impossible to determine its form, and only the inner courtyards have preserved their original form. Despite the heavy bombing at the end of World War II, the complex keeps the basic features of the early baroque building after a later renovation.

Find on map

Address:

Zrinski trg 1, 51262, Kraljevica

~23 km away from  51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N45.273873, E14.568205

BYZANTINE FORTRESS

The island of Sv. Marko is the triangular shape. Significant due to its traffic position and navigation from the Rijeka Bay to Vinodolski channel., in his vicinity, 49 BC they held a large naval battle in the civil war led by Pompey and Juliet Caesar at the end Caesar lost his battle. The Island of Sv. Marko on his cliffs has constructed a fort with several interrelated buildings, included in a unique fortress. They preserved the fortification structure until they began the mines construction of the bridge, during the construction, they cut the eastern part of the island off, and also part of the fortress. The time of the fort building is not possible to know according to some data of the fort they date it from the 6th century. Some Part of the fortress served up to the 16th century as a Venetian observatory. In old documents, they called the island Alims. Besides the remains of the fortress on the island, there were churches of Sv. Ivana Krizostoma, Sv. Martina and Sv. Brand. Byzantine presence on the island confirms the finding of the fibula within the cross from the 6th century.

Find on map

Address:

Otočić Sveti Marko
51513, Omišalj

~23 km away from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N45.247604, E14.565409

DRIVENIK FORTRESS

In today’s times, Drivenik is not inhabited, but the testimonys are related to the fortress from the 13th century, the parish church of St. Dujma, the church of St. Stjepan from the 15th century and the palace court. the Early Christian martyries from the 3rd century are dedicated to St. Dujma. At the place of the old church was built a new church from 1821 who is today standing there while they built the bell tower in 1806. At the top of the hill dominates the fortress, inside the fortes, there were also residential buildings, basement, and water tanks. The south-eastern tower, which has a gateway to the outside the castle, was first built, with the purpose to hide in danger. At the time of the Cold War, it was a square shape, and after the princes of Frankopan in the 13th century it became to the feudal lords of Vinodol, they incorporated the tower into and decide to build the castle. Also, the tower is exterior is reshaped with all four sides rolled into a roller, to be more resistant to cannon balls.

Find on map

Address:

Kaštel Drivenik
51242, Drivenik
~25 km away from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N45.237958, E14.646725

GRIŽANE FORTRESS

The fortress of Grizane is located on the height of 250 m. The Hungarian-Croatian King Andrija II donated Vinodol to Prince Vidu in 1225. Until that time, they had not subjected the inhabitants of Vinodol to intrusion. They lived in the municipalities, owned and enjoyed in their land, and the municipal government was taking care that all land do not get in one hand under control. In the period of family Frankopan, the fortification had an important strategic point. According to the preserved remains, the city had a form of an irregular quadrilateral, with round towers at the corners. The city was damaged in the earthquake that had hit Vinodol in 1323, so it is likely that today’s appearance is coming from the 14 th century. The inhabitation dates back to the Bronze and Iron Age. The specific position provided good protection and visibility. Another earthquake in 1750 damaged the castle. A few years ago the remains of the castle walls still resisted the time while the south side of the fortress fall of. In the center of the town, you can find the church of St. Marina, which shaped the reconstruction in 1906 according to V. Rauscher’s project.

Find on map

Address:

Utvrda Grižane, 51244, Grižane

~32 km away from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N45.204801, E14.718224

BADANJ FORTRESS

Badanj, an early medieval castle, built by the remodeling of the late antique nucleus, a smaller circular fort, are an exceptional monument of early medieval fortifications at the gate of Vinodol. A well-built township didn’t know the source of a decent name, originated and abandoned after a great earthquake in the 14th century. They have taken the functions of supervision over the River over by the ancient Kotor. The fort has an irregular circular ground plan, comprising a spacious central tower with room for crew and water reservoir. The ancient finds of antique bricks who are embedded in the walls of the Badnja can mean they created the core of the fort in the period of antiquity or early Renaissance, between the 4th and 6th centuries. The fortress Badanj is very important in Vinodola, a unique object of fortifying character, which performs its defensive function from the late antiquity, from the 4th century until the late Middle Ages. They have investigated it since 1966 to 1974 from that time they left the fort to decay and is today in the bad condition

Find on map

Address:

Gradina Badanj
51260, Crikvenica

~35 km away from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N45.192856, E14.699708

BRIBIR, FRANKOPAN FORTRESS

At the beginning of the 16th-century fortress, Bribe was under the hand of Bernardin Frankopan who take a new reinforcing look for the city ramparts. They designed the top deck of the walls for the loophole, and they finished it in 1527. Because of constant dangers of the Turks, wealthier residents are deciding to construct their homes inside the area of fortress walls to take refuge in the event of an attack. In 1848 they abolished the Bribirian estate, and the fort became the property of the municipality that destroyed the Great Gate 1861 and the Little Gate 1872. They demolished the fortress in 1878 to create a place for today’s school. From the fortress parts the well-preserved is only the tower, the building was built on two floors, built  in 1302. Between 1918 and 1941, Bribir was the center of advanced forces, which reflected on the departure of people to the Partisans in July 1941. For the punishment, fascists burn the historical core of Bribir. It’s shaping castle comprised double walls, a narrow courtyard, a residential and administrative building and two towers.

Find on map

Address:

Frankopanski kaštel Bribir
51253, Bribir

~41 km away from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N45.162226, E14.759391

NOVI VINODOLSKI , FRANKOPAN FORTRESS

The fortress Novi Vinodolski has developed around the 17th century from Frankopan castle and up to this day, he preserved the medieval structure of narrow and curving streets with small squares. The Medieval Tower “Kvadrac” is a preserved as part of the Frankopan castle, in which they wrote the Vinodol Code in 1228. In the time of the rule of Frankopan, at the beginning of the 13th century, a castle was built with a square internal courtyard and reinforced with cornered towers. Around this old town, they decide to developed a new part of town around it, with its ramparts which have preserved the medieval structure to this day. In the historical core, they preserved the remains on the northern and southern sides of the city. They destroyed the entrance of the town in 1875. They restored the only thing that has left of the castle medieval tower “Kvadrac”. After the plot(wrote) in 1671, the building has left to collapse, when the earthquake of 1750 made more damage. In 1761, they demolished two-thirds of Kaštela. When the neoclassical mansion broke up in 1848, Kaštel came to the possession of a municipality that converted it into the school and the headquarters of the administration at the end of the 19th century. Today, the town you can search for: City Hall, City Museum and Gallery, City Library and Library and Gallery “Turnac” in the same tower.

Find on map

Address:

Frankopanski kaštel
51250, Novi Vinodolski

~43 km away from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N45.128599, E14.788879

GRADEC (ROVOZNIK), FRANKOPAN FORTRESS

Ruins of Kaštela Gradec is a Bronze Age Prehistoric Settlement. They erected the fortress far from the seacoast, hidden from the view. Prince Nikola Of Krk in 1322 calls rovoznik fortress his patrimony, but there is no written the starting time of construction. For the of Prince Marko in 1307 they issued the documents in the castle, and in 1309 here is the assembly of representatives of all the municipality of Krk, the churches, and the Venetian authorities. The princes of Krk (Frankopani) strengthened since the end of the 12th century, they have the bigger specter of land possesses.Prince Nikola built the chapel of St. Nikole located opposite to the entrance of the castle in 1322. They abandoned the fortress Rovoznik in the second half of the 15th century after the departure of the last Prince of Krk Ivan 7 from the island. The shape of the castle has an irregular hexagonal shape with the interior of the simple look. This rudimentary construction combined with stone processing dates back to the second half of the 12th or the beginning of the 13th century. Some traces, such as the part of the underlying structure at the floor, point to the older late antique times.

Find on map

Address:

Kaštel Gradec (Rovoznik)
Risika, 51516, Risika

~44 km away from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N45.100116, E14.629629

KRK, FRANKOPAN FORTRESS

The Frankopan Fortress was built ed by the Frankopan family, and they embedded it in Roman city walls which comprised four towers and walls of a spacious atrium. The four-tower building next to the diocese is the oldest facility where the Franciscan courtroom was located. The inscription above the entrance says they erected the building in 1191. The tower that forms part of the fort is called “Okrugla ” or “Venetian” was built in the 13th century and restored in the 15th century, above the entrance you can see a slab with the name of St. Marko. In the east part of the castle who is facing to it to see the sea the square tower, while on the west part of is the guardhouse. They named the tower which had the role of the guardhouse “Austrian” because of the reconstruction in the Austro-Hungarian era. Within the complex, there were also placed rooms for the soldiers. The actual data on completion of the fort is unknown, but they assume it it completed the complex before 1348.

Find on map

Address:

Ul. Alojzija Stepinca 8, 51500, Krk

~50 km away from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N45.025787, E14.576464

DREŽNIK FORTRESS

The Drežnik fortress is  located on the edge of the Drežnik Town. According to historical sources, they mentioned it in 1185 near location Plitvice lakes. During the 16th century, the Frankopan castle was under constant threat of the Turks, and in 1592 it has fallen into their hands. In 1253. Bela III gave this estate to the knights of Nelipići. After many changes of the owners from 1321, the princes of Krk, the future of Frankopan, get the fortress into their property. King Matija Korvin confirmed their estate in 1475. The Army could not defend Dreznik, so it is already mentioned that it was the under Turks from 1592 to 1788. Although it was briefly under command in 1683 by General J. J. Herberstein who was commander of the Croatian Landscape(krajna ). The fort was an irregular quadruple shape with a round tower, and they covered it with more two square tower walls. The Drežnik Fortress is ruined and is located on the canyon on the left bank of the river Korana. The old town of Drežnik has always been a priority for the development of a strong defensive fort, because of the Turks, who have to pass through Europe.

Find on map

Address:

Drežnik grad 58, Rakovica,

~167 km away from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N44.943104, E15.669328

TRŽAN (MODRUŠ) FORTRESS

They consider it that the town existed already in around 8th century AD. In 1193. Modruš had come to Frankopan’s possession as the first estate of the princes on the land. King Bela III gave the whole town of Modruš to Prince Bartolu II, for the sake of merit Andrew II also was confirmed which decision. In 1209. Modruš remains the seat of the greatest and most important possession of the princes of Krk(Frankopana). The second name for the Modruš is Tržan it can found which in the documents from the 15th century who conditioned the trade and traffic. The first records of the fort, as the center of feudal property management, originate from 1437 and also in 1449, they called the Modruš suburbs Varoš. In mid-June 1449,Modruš was a divide between Frankopans seven sons of Prince Nicholas Frankopan. The Fortress was held with a modest settlement and given to the oldest son of Nikola Frankopan. Already in 1470 when a large Turkish army with about 20,000 people was invaded near Modruša had destroyed all the area of Modruš and neighboring mansions. .Recovering from the tragedy they experienced and renewing, the city started to was for life. Prince Bernardin Frankopan and his son Krsto will soon set up a new fortress due to the constant threat of Turkey, and that is Ogulin who is heritor of the Modruš Fort. After Bernard’s death in 1530 Modruš ceased to be the town of Frankopan, the population started emigrated to Hungary and to Bratislava. The Modruš fortress is going under the rule of the Krajina Administration.

Find on map

Address:

Stari grad Modruš
47303, Modruš

~125 km away from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N45.148935, E15.246667

NEHAJ FORTRESS

The place of a burst of Croatian history and the only seaside town never occupied by the Venetians or the Turks. King Bela 3 gave Senj 1185 to Templars, but after eternal quarrels with the princes of Krk (later Frakopani), the great fire and the Tatara invasion of 1242. Bela 4 took away the Senj from Templars and give them Dubica on the River Uni. They chose the Frankopans in 1271 for the directors the town of Senj and its surroundings. In their 180 years of management, there was a real economic and cultural prosperity. They should also add it that in 1388 Frankopani issued the statute of the town of Senj. Croatian-Hungarian King Matija Korvin took Senj from Frankopan in 1469 to defend from the Venetian and Turks. The permanent defense crew was Uskoci. The constructor of the fortress is Peter from Milan, along with several famous local builders. When the Imperial court secured the funds in 1551. Kapetan Ivan Lenković built a fortress. In 1558, he built one of the most beautiful fortresses of that time. The fortress has a cubic shape and is oriented toward the sides of the world. The thickness of the walls is 3.20 meters on the ground, and at the top, it narrows to 2.50 meters. The walls contain loopholes and eleven canopies. The first floor of the Fort Nehaj comprised one large and five smaller rooms occupied by the crew On the second floor there was a cannon tank of 11 heavy cannons, of which only two cans are now. The top deck of the fort has served as an observing point. From the top of Fort lies a beautiful view on the Croatian Littoral, the islands of Rab, Krk, Cres, and the mountains of Gorski Kotar, Učka, and Velebit.

Find on map

Address:

Nehajski put 3, 53270, Senj

~65 km away from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N44.986550, E14.903474

SOKOLAC (BRINJE) FORTRESS

In the 13th century Brinje, the fortress comprised a rectangular loft floor. It came under the rule of Frankopan like the counties Modruš and Vinodol. One of the Frankopan residences, the fort Sokolac has a chapel of St. Trinity which had a multifunctional purpose as sacred and defensive. The Turks 1530 attacking deep into Kranjska when they on way robbing the settlement and church, but Sokolac they failed to occupy. Even the Turks attacked Sokolac several times they had never occupied it, just like anyone else . (Vuk Frankopan) is again the owner of Brinje, but then fortress enters the composition of Krajina.In it flourished his death in 1546 in Germany. The fortress becomes part of the Krajina defense system. At the time when the Military Border was disbanded in 1871, and it restored the entire area under the authority of the Croatian Parliament. The Sokolac fort had been abandoned for three decades. The earthquakes affected the chapel, in 1917 when the most severe damage was repaired.

Find on map

Address:

Frankopanska 53, 53260, Brinje

~96 km away from 51000, Rijeka

GPS coordinate:

N44.998645, E15.131275