CHURCH OF ST. EUPHEMIA

Church of St. Euphemia is the main sight of Rovinj with its bell tower dominating the urban landscape – the peninsula with stone houses ‘immersed’ in the sea.
Euphemia was born at the end of the 80’s of the 3rd century in Calzedonia, on the territory of today’s Istanbul, as a daughter of prominent Senator family. Euphemia accepted Christianity as a young girl and renounced pagan idols. When she was 16 years old, her and about fifty other Calcedonian believers were in custody because they did not want to give up their Christianity and were subjected to torture. According to legend, she died of the wounds of the wild animals in the amphitheatre.
According to the story, the sarcophagus drifted to the coast of Rovinj on July 13, 800, where the gathering crowd tried to get out the heavy tomb, in which she was buried, from the sea. The date of her death, September 16, is celebrated as the City Day of Rovinj.

Find on map

Address:

Crkva sv. Eufemije, Trg sv. Eufemije, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.083301, E13.631228

BALBI'S ARCH

Balbi’s arch is the most famous entrance to the old part of Rovinj, but it is actually a relatively new building. Namely, in the 7th century Rovinj had city walls, later reinforced by the towers. Also, Rovinj had seven city gates, of which three have been preserved – The Door under the Wall, Gate of st. Benedict (Door on the coast) and the Gate of St. Cross.
At today’s Balbi’s Arch were the gates of an Old Fish Market, which where there until the second half of the 17th century. During the management of the mayor Daniel Balbi in 1678, the door was demolished and a new facility was built, later named Balbi’s arch. Today, it is the main entrance to the Old City and it is recognizable by the Venetian lion, a lion sculpture which “welcomes” visitors with the coat of arms of the Balbi family below it.

Find on map

Address:

Balbijev luk, Trg G. Matteottija, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.08217, E13.634331

CHURCH OF ST. THOMAS

Church of St. Thomas is located 4 km north of the town of Rovinj, next to the old railway line “Rovinj – Kanfanar”. It is a cross-shaped structure with a bell tower on the northern side.
Located in the central part of the church is a 6 meters high apse, which is semi-circular on the inside and polygonal on the outside. The side spaces of the church have the same semi-circular apses, but smaller dimensions.
The Church was built at the end of the 8th or early 9th century and it is a beautiful example of the church architecture of the Carolingian period in Istria.

Find on map

Address:

52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.107602, E13.659469

CHURCH OF THE CROSS

The small church of St. Cross is built on the sea reef in the 14th century and is located near the city gate. The facade was repaired in 1592 and this year embossed on the. According to the legend, a sarcophagus with the body of St. Euphemia was found near the Church.
This is evidenced by the inscription on the pillar, erected in 1720, on the rock by the sea: “D.O.M. Divae Euphemiae Rubinsium Numini Tutors ac Molari civitatis Obsequientissimae Votum Year 1720”.
The Holly Mass is performed there twice a year, on May 3rd (st. Cross) and July 13th (day when the sarcophagus with the body of St. Euphemia was found in Rovinj).
The church was restored in 1965 and there is a gallery in it today.

 

Find on map

Address:

Ulica Sv. Križa, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.082000, E13.630917

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

On the Lokva Square, near the bus station, lies the church of the Holy Trinity, the most significant Romanesque building in Rovinj.
It is a seven-octagonal dome building, which are very rare in Croatia and the surrounding countries. The 12th century church is well preserved and it is a great example of the Romanesque period, i.e. the beginning of the transition from Romanesque to Gothic.
Detail worth mentioning in the church is a transenna (grid) with a representation of Golgotha, with visible figures of the Mother of God, St. John the Evangelist, St. John the Baptist, St. Peter and St. Magdalene, the church does not hold mass celebrations and it is used as a gallery space.

Find on map

Address:

Trg na lokvi 3, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.080831, E13.638402

FRANCISCAN MONASTERY

Rovinj was an exception among the cities of the western Istrian coast because it had no Franciscan monastery. By the middle of the 15th century, on the island of St. Andrew near Rovinj, the Province of St. Jerome built a monastery (at the place of Benedictine hospice and church from the 6th century). According to the writings, the monastery was founded by St. John Kapistran. He was a propagator of devotion to the name of Jesus, a well-known missionary and fighter against Turks whose body is kept in the East-Croatian Franciscan monastery in Ilok.

Find on map

Address:

Franjevački Samostan, Ulica Vijenac Braće Lorenzetto, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.084362, E13.638604

NATIVE (CIVIC) MUSEUM

The museum was established in 1954 on the initiative of Rovinj’s artists and it is located in a Baroque palace of the counts of Califfi from the 17th and 18th century. Their idea was to establish a place where cultural wealth could be stored, as well as a place where numerous exhibition activities could be held.
During its 50-year-long existence, rich and valuable collections were created: collection of contemporary art (about 1500 pieces), collection of works by old masters, collection of archaeological findings, ethnological items, books, documents and photographs presenting the activities of the Pino Budicin Partisan Battalion, and other. Due to the lack of space and the rich gallery activity program, only a small fragment of the museum wealth is available to the visitors today.

Find on map

Address:

Zavičajni Muzej, Trg Maršala Tita, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.082596, E13.634232

 

ECO MUSEUM - THE HOUSE OF BATANA

An Eco-museum which is unique on the Adriatic coast and Mediterranean. It is connected to the traditional wooden boat known as the batana.
This is a museum that offers great amount of findings about the history of the batana and lifestyle of fishermen and their families; a true wooden batana, old fishing gear, video of the construction if the batana, many  publications and other valuable information about batana.
Rovinj batanas are flat-bottomed boats protected by UNESCO list of the world’s best intangible heritage conservation projects in 2015 due to their longevity and a traditional way of construction.

Find on map

Address:

Ekomuzej Batane, Obala Pina Budicina 2, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.081554, E13.632886

AQUARIUM ROVINJ

The Rovinj Aquarium was opened in 1891 and it is located inside the Maritime Research Centre of the Ruđer Bošković Institute. Here you can experience all the diversity of the Adriatic underwater world and many different specimens of the local flora and fauna presenting the typical communities that live in the undersea area of Rovinj. The aquarium was opened as the Zoological Station of the Berlin Aquarium and it is among the oldest institutions of that kind in the world.

Find on map

Address:

Rovinjski akvarij, Ulica Giordana Paliage 5, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.0857, E13.63942

GOLDEN CAPE

The Zlatni rt (Golden Cape) Park Forest is the most significant park area on the north-eastern Adriatic coast and one of the biggest natural beauties of Rovinj. This oldest protected site in Istria, has a high botanical value. The Golden Cape was declared a protected forest park in 1961.
It is an ideal place for a variety of sports activities such as running, biking and exercise while the old quarry has been converted into a paradise for free climbing enthusiasts. The park is also designed for pleasant walks. The whole zone is closed for motor vehicles.
There are few beaches which are suitable for families and children, also you can find beach bars that offer refreshments at several locations along the coast.

Find on map

Address:

Park šuma Zlatni Rt, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.067116, E13.636632

PALUD - SPECIAL ORNITHOLOGICAL RESERVE

The Palud cove, 8 kilometres southwest of Rovinj, is the only ornithological park in Istria. Palud is a natural depression in close vicinity to the sea, which, because of the inflow of water from the surrounding hills and plateaus, as well as springs on the northern side, has turned into a swamp.
In 1906, there was an Austro-Hungarian military base in Barbariga and a 200-meter-long canal was dug from the swamp to the sea. This was done to increase salinity of the marsh water and so prevent the development of mosquito larvae that were the main transmitters of malaria.
By connecting the sea and swamp Palud gained its new inhabitants such as grey mullet and eel, fish that are found in areas where seawater mixes with freshwater. Older people of the Rovinj-Rovigno area recall seeing other species of fish in the swamp that came in search of food. The great variety and number of resident and migratory bird species is surely the most important feature of this unique swamp.

Find on map

Address:

Rezervat Palud, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.032656, E13.697815

ST. CATHERINE ISLAND

The island of Catherine is one of the most beautiful islands of the Rovinj archipelago. It is located few hundred meters from the town centre and is easy to reach by taxi boats that run from a small pier every hour.
The Mediterranean macchia and the old coniferous forest dominate the Katarina Island, and near the hotel and the annex you can find well-taken-care-of flowery parks and paths. On the island you will also find a cultivated vineyard and some old olive trees. Even the photos on our sites will convince you of the irresistibility of the island’s natural beauty.
On the north-western side of the island, well-known rocks are located, such as the Golden, the Silver and the Bronze Rock. These are tall rocks – they reach a height of up to 15 meters – which fall vertically into the sea that has a depth of three and more meters. The rocks are, at the same time, the most attractive locations in Rovinj’s entire archipelago for those who love jumping into the sea.

Find on map

Address:

Otok Sveta Katarina, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.077626, E13.627737

ST. ANDREW ISLAND

Red Island, also called Sveti Andrija is an island in the Croatian part of the Adriatic Sea. It is situated near Rovinj and it consists of two artificially connected islands: St. Andrew’s Island (Otok Sv. Andrije) and Maškin Island (Otok Maškin).
The island was probably inhabited in prehistory. In the 6th century, Benedictines built a monastery on the island. The Benedictines left the island in the 13th century and in the 15th century it was taken over by Franciscans who renovated the church and the monastery. In 1809, the island was conquered by France, and in 1892 a cement and lime factory was built on the island using the church tower as a chimney.
Baron Hütterott renovated it at the end of the 19th century.
Today, the castle has been turned into a hotel and is decorated by works of the official painter of the Austro-Hungarian Navy, Alexander Kircher.

Find on map

Address:

Otočić Sveti Andrija, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.058981, E13.623728

THE ANTONIO GANDUSIO THEATER

The Antonio Gandusio Theater is a visionary legacy of one of Rovinj’s mayors from the late 19th century, Nicolo de Califfi. It’s interesting to know that he prepared the drawings for it himself and the building was completed in 1854. With its baroque grace and perfect integration in the original environment, its elegant and functional interior design with a special emphasis on detail, the Antonio Gandusio Theater deserved to be called a true attraction of both Rovinj and the Croatian cultural heritage. The theater was named after one of the greatest theatres and film comedians, an Italian ‘’novocento’’ born in Rovinj in 1873.
Even today, the popular Gandusio has never stopped being a gladly visited home of drama burlesque, operas and operettas, political and other conventions and events, as well as true musical & theatrical rarities such as the Calvachino, a masked dance to the beat of mazurka, gallop, waltz and polka.

Find on map

Address:

Kazalište Antonio Gandusio, Ulica Giuseppea Garibaldija, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.083453, E13.633733

MUSEUM OF THE HUTTEROTT FAMILY

The Mini Museum Hütterott is a small village house located at the main entrance of the Zlatni Rt Forest Park. The museum is dedicated to the Hütterott family, which owned the park at the end of the 19th century. Austrian Count Georg Hütterott bought four islands in the archipelago and part of the country near Rovinj where he planted a variety of Mediterranean and exotic plant species. His intention was to build a climate treatment center “Cap Aureo”. Baron Hütterott is considered to be one of the most important people in the development of tourism in Rovinj.
Bicycles can be rented in the small house or you can sign up for the climbing course at the top of Montauro. Also, you can join the organized bicycle trip around the Palud marsh.

Find on map

Address:

Park šuma Zlatni Rt, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.067116, E13.636632

CENTRE FOR HISTORICAL RESEARCH

Centre for Historical Research, founded 1968 by the Italian Union, is an institution of the Italian national community. Centre consists of a large library (more than 80.000 works) that has had the status of „Biblioteca depositaria del Consiglio d´Europa“ since 1995 – the library where the European Council’s material, related to the issues from human rights and minority rights, is archived.
From 15th to 18th century, this was the location of St. Damjan’s public granary and in 1872 became the location of the first tobacco manufacture in Rovinj.

Find on map

Address:

Centar za povijesna istraživanja, Piazza Matteotti 13, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.082238, E13.633873

CITY PALACE

The seat of the City mayor and the entire city administration, once this was the Praetorian Palace whose “foundations” date back to 1308. One part of the ground floor also housed a prison while on the upper floor there was the City Council Hall, offices and the file room. The front and the atrium were restored in 1850 and 1860 and in 1935 when the coats of arms were placed there representing Venetian and Rovinj families and the City.
The white stone slabs were set up during the reconstruction in the 19th and 20th centuries, and there are various coats of arms – from the family coats of domestic and Venetian families to the Rovinj city coat.

Find on map

Address:

Gradska vijećnica, Carera ulica 15, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.082112, E13.63429

TOWN CLOCK

It is located on the main town square in Rovinj. It once represented the tower on the south corner of the former town walls.
Built in the 17th century, the tower was extended several times.
There used to be a prison below the tower for minor offenders.
The town clock with its Venetian lion, the symbol of Serenissima dating back to mid-19th century, was situated on the town gate fort near the Califfi Palace.

Find on map

Address:

Gradska ura, Trg Maršala Tita, 52210 Rovinj

GPS coordinate:

N45.08189, E13.634625