GRIPE FORTRESS

Fortress Gripe is the best-preserved part of the great defence system of Split, mostly built in several stages over twenty years, starting from the mid-17th century. The system consisted of the fortification inside the city itself and of strategically important positions around the city. Today, the Croatian Maritime Museum of Split can be found within the fortress. The city survived many difficulties in its past during the Battle of Kandia (1645-1669). It was built in the middle of the 17th century, mostly in 1656, when the city of Split faced the danger of Turkish conquests. The fort was saved by the city and its inhabitants during the worst Turk siege in 1657. In the 19th century, the fortress was under the Austrian administration and experienced more refurbishment and expansion of defensive purposes of the fort, mostly related to the construction of the barracks and guardhouses. It is an example of a Baroque Bastion fortress and is located in a very prominent part of Split. It served its military purposes for centuries and was given to the City of Split in 1995.

Find on map

Address:

Tvrđava Gripe. Glagoljaška ul. 13, 21000, Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.509013, E16.446372

KLIS FORTRESS

The fortress of Klis had an extremely important strategic role, located on a mountain not far from Split. Most of the walls were made in Illyrian times. They built the defensive walls to protect their own freedom from the attacks of the Romans. The Romans managed to conquer the fort and further strengthened its defensive capabilities. From the fort, they had complete control over the entire Central Dalmatian area. When the Roman Empire collapsed, the fortress came under the Croat control. In the middle of the 9th century, Prince Trpimir ruled the fortress. In a way, it was the capital place of the Croatian state during that time period. King Bela IV also found the shelter in the fortress after he was defeated by the Tatars in the 13th century. It was later ruled by the Duke of the Šubići family and the king of Bosnia, Tvrtko I. After him, various cleric princes and commanders occupied the fort. Among the defenders from the Turkish attacks, the chieftain and Captain Petar Kružić is the most distinguished. He protected the fort for more than twenty years, relying only on his skill as a commander. In the year 1537, when the Turks were again trying to conquer the fort, Petar was forced to ask for help promised to him by King Ferdinand I Of Habsburg. He returned with three thousand soldiers who landed at Solin Harbor. On the way to the Fort, they entered the Turkish ambush and the soldiers who were with him did not provide even the basic resistance he was counting on. Petar died during the ambush and the fort was lost to the Turks. The fort came under the rule of Venetians after the Cretan War. The fort was briefly under the Austrian rule and later was occupied by the French. In the 20th century, it lost its military importance and became more and more dilapidated.

Find on map

Address:

Kliška tvrđava, 21231, Klis
~10 km away from 21000, Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.560107, E16.524398

KAMERLENGO FORTRESS

Fortress Kamerlengo is the work of master Marin Radoj from 14th to the 15th century. Opposite the fortress stands tower of the St. Marko from the 15th century, today known as House of Dalmatian Music. Tower of St. Marko, located on the north-western corner of the island, was built by Venice in the 15th as a defence against Turkish attacks. Originally it was connected to the city walls and fortress Kamerlengo. The name of the fort comes from the kamerleng, a civil servant connected to all the business dealings of the duke. The present look comes from the time of the Venetians who had their own guard in the city. After the Venetians took over Trogir, they concluded that it was necessary to strengthen the walls that were damaged during their attacks and built new ones outside the settlement. The construction of the fortress lasted from 1420 to 1437 and the state engineer Lorenzo Picino was chosen to oversee the construction. Trogir duke made a contract with the Croatian master Marino Radojev to create the stone foundations of the castle. Today, many concerts and social events are conducted at the castle.

Find on map

Address:

Ul. Hrvatskog proljeća 1971. 1, 21220, Trogir
~30 km away from 21000, Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.515335, E16.246950

THE FORT HOLY MARY OF MERCY

The fort Holy Mary of Mercy was built around 1575 on the site of the former Gothic church of St. Mary from 1465. Brotherhood of St. Mary built the original church around 1465 at the site of today’s fortress-church. However, the second brotherhood, which advocated for the independence of the place, with the support of the then Bishop of Hvar built the parish church of St. Lovre. Although they were often subjected to Turkish attacks, in 1571, during the Ulu-Ali’s attack, Vrboska was burned and robbed. After that, brotherhoods came to an agreement and the church of St. Mary was fortified in 1579. During this time, the fort kept its original look and has been preserved in almost original condition. The project was undertaken by a military engineer, as it is an extremely functional and aesthetically pleasing building. Around the late-nave church, you can find a rectangular apse, wide and tall walls erected with a crown. For the defence of the main entrance of the fortress, a triangular bastion was built that had a water tank in front of it. The church-fortress is an impressive building that even today stands out in Vrbosko.

Find on map

Address:

Fortress-Church of Saint Mar,Šabotova kola 79, 21463, Vrboska
~52 km away from 21000, Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.180689, E16.671849

FORTICA FORTRESS

Fortica or Španjola is one part of the fortress defence system of the town of Hvar, built during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. It was built in 14th century by Spanish military engineers. The fortress of the city and the city walls were the centre of the defence system of Hvar. Its appearance dates back to the 16th century, although it is historically considerably older. There was a prehistoric, Illyrian fortress on this site, and the construction of the fort that stands here today began in 1282 with the decision of the Venetian government which Hvar was under at that time. In 1551 the fort was completed, and the funds for the construction and numerous modifications and repairs were provided by the Hvar Municipality. The defence system and fortifications provided safety to the inhabitants on numerous occasions. One of the examples was the Ottoman attack in 1571 when their fleet robbed and burned everything outside of the city walls while the inhabitants of this area found safety inside the fortress walls. One of the biggest events in the history of the fort happened in 1579 when the fort gunpowder reserve exploded due to being exposed to fire. The last significant construction done on the fort was in the early 19th century during the Austrian rule. As the Austrian rule collapsed, Hvar no longer had a strategically important position and the fortress was abandoned by the middle of the century.

Find on map

Address:

Fortica, 21450, Hvar
~61 km away from 21000, Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.175170, E16.441737

BATARIJA FORT

It is located in the middle of the port on the island of Vis. It was built around 1830. The fort was of great importance during the battle in 1866. The Italian ships attempted to occupy the Harbour and so they landed on the island but were driven back by cannon gunfire. It was the only forts that could maintain a cannon barrage over a long period of time. The fort consists of bastions facing the Harbor built for a defensive purpose. Inside the bastion are a storage and a prison. The entrance is located in the southern part of the fort and leads to a spacious yard with water tanks. The back part of the fort features a garrison building which was later rebuilt, and today features an archaeological collection.

Find on map

Address:

Ul. Viški Boj 12, 21480, Vis
~57 km away from 21000, Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.057252, E16.193300

ST. JURAJ (GEORGE) FORT

The fortress Fortica (George / Juraj III) was completed in 1813. It got its name from, then King of England, George. There are two courtyards separated by a building that was used as a crew barracks within the fortress, and one of them was used as a water tank. The fort is a 105 m long and 32 m wide with defensive walls on the west with an average height of 8 m, enclosing the inner courtyard in the form of an irregular square. Within the space enclosed by the outer defensive wall, there were barracks for the accommodation of officers and soldiers, as well as warehouses. Rainwater collection tanks can be found in the second yard, which is facing the sea and the enclosing defensive wall. The British fortress, Fort George, after the departure of the English army, was taken over by the Austrians, who built a courtyard building, from which today only perimeter walls are preserved. It was damaged during the Battle of 1866, and, after World War II, went to JNA control. In the early 20th century the fort it was abandoned.  The Fortress is currently without function and is owned by the state.

Find on map

Address:

Utvrda Sv. Juraj bb, 21480, Vis
~57 km away from 21000, Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.073477, E16.196594

KOMUNA FORT

The fortress in Komiža was built in 1595 during the rule of Hvar duke Ivan Grimani. Construction was slow at the very beginning, and local fishermen agreed to help the builders finish it faster. At the beginning of the 17th century, despite the lack of weapons inside the Komiš castle, the fort was successfully defended during the Uskok attack in 1614. In 1870, a tower with a bell from 1722 was built over one corner of the fort. The municipality decided to buy a fort and place its offices and thus the fort got its name, Komuna. The fortress is actually a spacious tower with a proper square ground plan with slanted lower parts of the walls. The ground floor is crossed by a cross-legged vault with Gothic features and it featured a water tank. Today a unique Fishermen’s Museum can be found inside the fort.

Find on map

Address:

Ul. Kardinala Alojzija Stepinca 10, 21485, Komiža
~67 km away from 21000, Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.043999, E16.088732

TOPANA FORT

The fort was first mentioned in the records from the middle of the 10th century and further in medieval sources. In 1493, the fortress fell into Turkish hands and became the seat of Turkish military and administrative authorities until 1717. During the Turkish-Venetian wars, the fortress was repaired and upgraded. After the Turkish forces left the area and the collapse of the Venetian Republic, the fort Topana lost its strategic significance and gradually became neglected by the local authorities. It was finally abandoned in about 1816. The Church of Our Lady of Angela, patron of the Imotski, built in 1718 can be found inside the fortress.

Find on map

Address:

Topana, Ul. Petra Vrdoljaka 32, 21260, Imotski
~86 km away from 21000, Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.449853, E17.213988