DIOCLETIAN'S PALACE

Diocletian’s Palace was built at the turn of the fourth century AD near the city of Solin. It is one of the best-preserved monuments of Roman architecture in the world. The Emperor’s palace was built as an interpolation of the various contents of the luxurious villa- a mansion in the framework of the Roman military camp (castruma) divided into four parts by two main streets. Diocletian’s Palace is a kind of a “city within a city” that never stopped existing. In the palace, antiquity blends with the Middle Ages, the Gothic, Renaissance and modern architecture. The southern part of the palace was built in the service of the emperor, his apartment and the appropriate state and religious ceremonies while the northern part was built for the Imperial Guard – army, servants and for storage. While buildings such as these are only available as ancient relics in the rest of the world open only for sightseeing, Palace in Split is a place where people live, eat and drink in the streets, meet acquaintances, go for entertainment and sing in “sotto voce” style under the voltas.  The palace is a rectangular-shaped building, 208 meters by 195 meters in size. It has 4 large towers in its corners with four doors on each side.

Find on map

Address:

Dioklecijanova palača, Peristil ulica 1, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.508268, E16.440202

CHURCH OF ST. DOMNIUS

The cathedral was built in 4th century AD as a mausoleum for the Roman emperor Diocletian.After Avars and Slavs destroyed the city of Salona, the majority of the population decided to continue their lives on the islands. After some time, some of them decided to return to the abandoned Emperor’s palace. The palace was turned into a Christian church, pagan symbols were removed as well as the sarcophagus that held the remains of the Emperor. Cathedral in Split is well known for its wooden entrance doors carved in 1214 by Andrija Buvina. The doors depict 28 pictures of Life of Christ- from Gabriel’s proclamation to the resurrection of Christ. The entrance doors were built out of walnut. In addition to the entrance door, the cathedral is also recognizable by the bell tower, which is a combination of Romanesque and Gothic architecture built in the 13th century.  The height of the cathedral’s bell tower is 57 meters and its construction began in the 13th century and finished in the middle of the 16th century. It is built in combined Romanesque and Gothic styles where decorative elements are built in Romanesque style while the overall architectural style is of Gothic origin.

Find on map

Address:

Katedrala Sv. Duje, Ulica Kraj Svetog Duje 5, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.508061, E16.440402

THE GOLDEN GATE

The main entrance to the Emperor’s Palace is the Porta Septemtrionalis (The Golden Gate). It is richly adorned and built in the shape of a square with double doors which served as a defensive tactic in case of siege. St. Martin church, built in the 6th century, stands on top of The Golden Gates in the guard hallway. This is also indicated by the saints that were dedicated as its patrons. St. Martin and St. Theodore are of significant importance as patrons of soldiers, worshiped all across the Roman Empire at the time of Emperor Justinian. The church was redesigned several times. The present appearance is a combination of the layout from the 6th century in a place where the pre-Romanesque altar fence was placed in the 11th century. Today, the church is part of the female Dominican monastery.

Find on map

Address:

Zlatna Vrata, Ulica kralja Tomislava, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.509215, E16.440703

THE SILVER GATE

The Silver Gate (also known as Porta Nova) was rebuilt during the Middle Ages and barricaded as a defensive mechanism against the Turkish attacks during the 15th century. In the 1850s, The Silver Gate and the inner yard were reopened and partially reconstructed. Since 1953, both of them were fully restored and opened for passage.The Silver Gate is the place where the original antique sidewalk begins. They are devoted to St. Apolinar. It was known as Porta Orientalis during the Roman Empire. Through them, on the main street, decumanus, the palace went east and west, all the way to the Iron Gate, and today to Pjaca, the central city square. They were not as decorated as The Golden Gate and were closed from the Middle Ages until 1952 when they were reopened and fully reconstructed after the Baroque church Dušica was demolished. Along the gate are the remains of the octagonal tower, so it is easy to imagine the beauty of the construction and the power of control over the entrance doors. Passing through the doors, passers-by today have the opportunity to walk on the original antique sidewalk used by some of Diocletian’s subjects. Silver Gate has recently enriched its history with the greatest event for all the Split Catholics, when in the year 2000 Pope John Paul II passed through them admiring the beauty of St. Dominicus Cathedral where he later prayed.

Find on map

Address:

Srebrna Vrata/Silver Gate, Poljana kraljice Jelene 5, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.508112, E16.441209

JUPITER’S TEMPLE (BAPTISTERY)

The preserved Jupiter’s Temple in the Emperor’s palace was reconstructed and turned into a Christian church. The temple functions as a church once a year- on the feast of St. John the Baptist.The support system of Baptistery of St. John in Split consists of four walls with no stone sculptures that reaches the top of the vault while the stone blocks are rich in stone sculptures. The vault of the Baptistery is built out of 40 stone blocks set in eight longitudinal rows, each with five transversely longitudinally arranged blocks with rounded edges and a lot of roughness on the outside while being very richly decorated on the inside.The Christians turned the temple into a baptistery of St. John the Baptist with the statue of St. John sculpted by famous Croatian sculptor Ivan Meštrović.

 

Find on map

Address:

Jupiterov hram, Ul. Kraj Svetog Ivana 2, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.508323, E16.439541

PERISTYLE SQUARE

Peristyle, the inner yard of Greek and Roman palaces, surrounded by a porch with pillars and with a pool in the middle. As the central square of the Palace, housed in a section where several temples were built, it was dedicated to Emperor Diocletian, celebrated as Jupiter’s living son. The red colour of granite columns emphasizes the ceremonial function. With the construction of a new city square with the hall (Pjaca) in 13./14., the peristyle becomes a religious centre. Today it is enclosed from the west by the palaces of the Split noble families. Due to its unique beauty and unusual acoustics, Peristyle has become an ideal theatre scene and a stage where urban life takes place. In order to experience the ancient times, drinking coffee on the peristyle can provide this unique experience. Above the peristyle is an ancient Egyptian sphynx that is around 3500 years old. With the visit of Pope John Paul II, who was remembered by the sentence “My God, how many feet have walked this path?”, it is now considered a city ​​centre by the locals.

Find on map

Address:

Trg Peristil, Peristil ul. 2, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.508326, E16.440238

THE CELLARS OF DIOCLETIAN'S PALACE

Underground rooms, so-called Diocletian’s Cellars, are located in the southern part of the Palace. One of its functions was to support the upper floor that housed the Emperor’s residential complex. Walking through the Cellars, original antique architecture can be seen on the walls and arches. Walls are engraved with stone carvings while the arches are made of bricks and tiles. Today, they serve as an exhibition/souvenir selling space. The Palace Cellars are one of the best preserved antique complexes of this kind in the world and are a testament to the fact that the historical core of Split is included in the UNESCO World Heritage list.In Roman times, their function was to raise the emperor’s rooms in the upper floor, but they were also the storage space of the Palace.The cleaning of the basement rooms was conceived and started in the mid-19th century by architect Vicko Andrić, the first Split and Croatian conservator and what can be seen today was excavated and reconstructed during the 1960s. Today, the Cellars are entered through Porta Aenea, from Riva, or from the Peristyle staircase. They are used for painting and sculpture exhibitions, theatrical performances, fairs, and many other social and cultural events.

Find on map

Address:

Dioklecijanovi Podrumi, Ul. Iza Vestibula 3, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.507621, E16.439746

CHURCH AND THE MONASTERY OF ST. FRANCIS

Both the church and the monastery were built near the grave and small church of St. Felicius, an early Christian martyr from the time of Diocletian. In the 13th century, the church was inhabited by the Franciscans, fratres minores. The church of St. Francis holds the title of “Small pantheon of the Croatian People”. It is a place where works of sacred art from the Roman period are kept, such as a sarcophagus depicting the “Transition over the Red Sea”. Along the main altar, where the body of St. Felicius, there are four other altars that decorate the altarpiece of renowned artists: The Immaculate Virgin, St. Anthony, St. Joseph, and the most valuable work in the church – Holy Cross – a painted crucifix, the first work by Master Blaž Juraj Trogiranin. Next to the church, there is a Franciscan monastery, which, with its building wrapped by the old cloister, dates back to the 13th century. The cloister is built in a simple style with a covered porch and Gothic columns, each being unique. There are many fragments of panels with names of important people in the porch. The monastery also houses a rich rustic library, which has about 3000 works in its collection with some dating back to the 16th century.

Find on map

Address:

Crkva i samostan sv. Frane, Trg Franje Tuđmana 1, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.508264, E16.435607

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Abbot Vjekoslav Bonifačić requested that the authorities repair the old Croatian church of the Holy Trinity from the 9th century on Poljud in 1965. On October 17, 1967, a new Split parish was established in this renovated church. The parish was named after the old Croatian church- The Parish of the Holy Trinity. For practical reasons, Holy Mass is held in the nearby monastery church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary known amongst the locals as the church of St. Anthony, whose member- a Franciscan parish priest, is also a vicar of the beforementioned church. The first vicar of the new parish was abbot Hinko Balajić. The parish district includes Poljud, Lora and a part of Skalica. The name Poljud comes from the Latin word paludes = marshes, since this region was full of water and swamps until the 1960s.The parish office is located in the Franciscan monastery. The birth register began to function since the establishment of the parish in 1967.

Find on map

Address:

Sveta Trojica, Sutroičin put, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.520842, E16.435719

PROKURATIVE SQUARE

The Republic Square or Prokurative Square in located in the centre of Split, west of the Diocletian’s Palace. A baroque rampart stretched across the square between the Priuli bastion in the north and half-bastion Šperuna (San Antonio) in the south. It was part of the baroque walls that the Venetians raised around Split for defence against the Turks through the 16th and 17th centuries. The symmetrical layout of the building was thought to enrich it as a public monument. This was first intended by the French. Then, at the end of the 19th century, an idea to build the Monumental Fountain there as a symbol of bringing the current water to Split was conceived, however, it was decided that the fountain will be built somewhat south to the shore at the intersection of the Riva and Prokurative axis. In 1905, a monument to Botić was placed around the square, but in 1921 it was moved to the first peak of Marjan following the wishes of the sculptor. Then at the time of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, sculptor Ivan Meštrović donated a statue of Bishop Gregory of Nin to Split, provided that it was raised on the Peristyle of Diocletian’s Palace. Conservator Frane Bulic proposed that the statue should be raised in Prokurative which was much more spacious and convenient. However, Meštrović was persistent, so the monument was still placed on the ancient square in 1929. After the assassination of King Alexander in 1934, a new sculpture of the King was built (alongside the one already raised on Gat) in Prokurative in the form of a bronze erect sculpture about two meters in size.

Find on map

Address:

Trg Republike, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.508638, E16.436155

FRUIT SQUARE

The market’s recognizability can be seen in cafes, restaurants and exclusive stores, and as a venue for fairs. The octagonal Venetian tower, the remains of a former fortress, was built on the trench, built in the 15th century to defend the then small town. On the opposite side of the tower you can see the magnificent palace of the old Milesi family from the 17th century decorated with a Baroque facade. In front of it is a monument to the father of Croatian literature, Mark Marulić, one of the most important thinkers and intellectuals of the 15th century. The author of the monument is Ivan Meštrović. Due to various events, such as Pjaca (fruit market), Fruit Square has a special significance among the locals, it is also the place where a popular Croatian TV series was recorded, the saga of Split, “Velo misto”.

Find on map

Address:

Voćni Trg, Trg Braće Radić 5, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.508335, E16.438500

MARJAN PARK

Already inhabited in the prehistoric times, several fragments of prehistoric ceramics characteristic of the Bronze Age were found inside the park. The Issean Greeks had settlements on Marjan around the 2nd century BC. During the Middle Ages, many nomadic huts and shrines could be found here. The protection of nature on Marjan existed since the 14th century, as evidenced by the 1312 Split Statute. In 1339 it was concluded that two noblemen were elected among the members of the Grand Council who would embark on an oath to report those who are caught bringing grazing animals or cutting wood on Marjan hill. They were paid 22 denars each year, and if they were caught not doing their job, they were required to pay back 25 denars. This proclamation mostly affected poor citizens who sent their horses, cattle and sheep to Marjan and they repeatedly sought to abolish or alleviate these provisions but failed to do so. By the decision of 1358, the council had introduced permanent guards. Every day two guards were chosen and sent to Marjan to serve as a deterrent.

Find on map

Address:

Park Šuma Marjan, Obala Hrvatskog narodnog preporoda 25, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.509575, E16.418616

SPLIT CITY MUSEUM

The beginnings of museum activity and the collection of heritage are connected with Papalić’s Palace where the City Museum of Split is located today. At the end of the 15th and early 16th century, in the Gothic-Renaissance palace, belonging to the Split noble family Papalić, there was a collection of ancient stone monuments from Salona. Marko Marulić and Dmine Papalić, while visiting the old Solin ruins, collected and studied the ancient inscriptions which were then built into the courtyard walls of the Papalić estate. They remained in the courtyard until 1885, when most of them were transferred to the Archaeological Museum near the Silver Gate. Since 1925, the two rooms on the second floor of the Bernardi palace, alongside a large reading room and other locations, were transformed into a history department that will later become its own institution. The city museum was founded in 1946 and it acquired its name two years later.Within the museum is Gallery Emanuel Vidović, dedicated to the most important 20th-century painter of Split and one of the most prominent heads of Croatian modern painting.

Find on map

Address:

Muzej grada Splita, Papalićeva ul. 1, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.508721, E16.440852

THE CROATIAN NATIONAL THEATRE, SPLIT

The new theater building of the Municipal Theater opened on May 6, 1893 at Dobri. It was just a continuation of the rich Split theatre history, beginnings of which can be found in the antiquity. In the new theatre, alongside the then unrivalled Italian troops and artists, more and more domestic and Slavic artists appear.The first attempt to set up a permanent and professional drama ensemble takes place in 1898 with the establishment of the ensemble of the Croatian drama society in Split by former members of the Zagreb and Varaždin Theatre and the students of Miletic’s acting school. The society functioned for only two years. After that, rich theatrical life is maintained by theatre amateurs and enthusiasts and the so-called “Croatian Theatre Society for Dalmatia”.The building was rebuilt in 1920 when the first professional drama ensemble was founded under the official name of the National Theatre for Dalmatia.In February 1970, the theatrical building was almost completely destroyed in the fire. After a shorter break, performances were again being held first at the JNA House Depot, and then at the Split Cinema within Split Shipyard Chamber. Almost a decade was needed to renovate the theatrical building at Dobro.In March 1978, following the project of architect Boška Rašica, works on a thorough reconstruction of the building began as well as efforts to expand it. The new building was officially opened on May 19, 1980.

Find on map

Address:

Hrvatsko narodno kazalište Split, Trg Gaje Bulata 1, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.510994, E16.437264

ETHNOGRAPHIC MUSEUM OF SPLIT

Ethnographic Museum of Split, located near the peristyle, in a place that already has an extraordinary cultural, historical and architectural importance. It presents an extremely valuable ethnographic collection that shows us the life of Split locals, the islanders and the hardy people from Dalmatian Zagora, a unique opportunity while visiting Split. Namely, this museum is unique due to the fact that the museum space is located in the place of Imperial chambers from the 4th century, that is, the Emperor Diocletian’s bedroom as the most intimate part of the Palace.The museum area also holds one of the oldest churches in the city of Split, the church of St. Andrew de Fenestris from the 7th century. Through the courtyard of the early medieval palace of the Split family Božičević-Natalis, which houses a well with family heraldry, the visitors will reach the Roman staircase leading to the Vestibul roof from which you can see the beautiful core of the city and the surrounding area of ​​Split as well as the sea and the nearby islands.

Find on map

Address:

Etnografski muzej Split, Ul. Iza Vestibula 4, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.507529, E16.440163

MEŠTROVIĆ MUSEUM

Museum dedicated to the preservation, research and promotion of the work and life of Ivan Meštrović, one of the most prominent Croatian artists of the first half of the 20th century, who worked as a sculptor, painter, architect and writer. Thanks to his Gift to the Croatian People of 1952, numerous gifted masterpieces, impressive architecture and refined spaces managed by the Museums of Ivan Meštrović, can be found in four places; in his home and atelier in Zagreb, in the family villa and the reconstructed Renaissance Kaštilac in Split, and in Otavice, the birthplace of his family, where visitors have the opportunity to enjoy hundreds of his works that are on display.The Croatian Parliament in 1991 adopted the Law on Ivan Meštrović Fundamentals, thereby integrating the Darovnica into a unique organization with an administrative headquarters in Zagreb. By amending the Act of 2007, the Ivan Mestrovic Foundation was renamed into Ivan Meštrović’s Museum, and the administrative center moved to Split.Ivan Meštrović gained fame and reputation all over the world and influenced generations of sculptors and artists. His works are kept in museums, galleries and collections all over the world, as well as in many public places where his monuments are still delighting the visitors with their monumental character.

Find on map

Address:

Galerija Meštrović, Šetalište Ivana Meštrovića 46, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.504696, E16.417848

MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS

The Museum of Fine Arts was opened for public in 1931. The Museum’s specific and exceptionally valuable collection holds over 5200 works and spans a timeline from the 14th century to the contemporary art production. Besides the Croatian artists, the Museum’s collection holds artworks from Yugoslavia, Italy, Germany, Austria, France, and the Czech Republic. This diversity has influenced the Collection’s exhibition concept in nearly 400 works of art exhibited in the space of 2200 m2. The selection reflects the entire collection, its stylistic, thematic and media diversity, covering a time span of nearly seven hundred years. Thus, the exhibition is an opportunity for unique time travel, space where you can experience the incomparable adventure of art.The exhibition begins on the first floor with the works by old masters (1400 – 1900) and continues with anthological works of the great masters of Croatian Modernism (1900 – 1950). The second half of the 20th century is represented with masterpieces of High Modernism (1950 – 1970), among which Croatia’s internationally famous abstract art production.The ground floor display presents Croatia’s and local contemporary art practices (1960 – present), reflecting its multidisciplinary and multimedia diversity, as well as especially strong media art production.

Find on map

Address:

Galerija Umjetnina, Kralja Tomislava 15, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.509775, E16.440155

SUSTIPAN PARK

Marjan Peninsula, together with Sustipan, as a natural phenomenon with undeniable biological, ecological, cultural, spatial, visual and other values, was proclaimed, in accordance with the Nature Protection Act of 16 December 1964, as a specially protected object of nature and received the status of a forest park several years later. It also contains the medieval monastery of “St. Stephen under the pines”, which served as a lodge of Croatian kings. It also served as a first cemetery in Split during the beginning of 19th century but was closed by the Communist government after the new city cemetery was opened. The most important example of the cemetery of Sustipan, the oldest cemetery in Split, is found in the cemetery graveyard. There is evidence from 1020 that medieval abbey of “St. Stephen under the pines” was located in Sustipan, however, there is no concrete evidence of it being used as a burial ground before the Middle Ages. The cemetery was officially opened in 1826 after the old Benedictine Abbey was destroyed and the burials lasted officially until 1943, although only after the ban of 1946 did the burials finally stop. During the period from 1958 to 1960, research on Benedictine monastery and basilica was carried out. During that time, old cypress trees, old morgue, guard house and part of the old wall were removed. Tombs were exhumed in 1959/60 and the old cemetery was demolished. The cemetery is now closed to the public, behind the locked doors next to the building of the former morgue.

Find on map

Address:

Sustipan, Sustipanski put, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.501162, E16.425947

STROSSMAYER PARK

After 1808, when the French Marshal Marmont demolished kortina (a wall with a bulwark), a new empty space was opened.  This park becomes important after 1859, when due to the construction of the northern part of the Prokurative, it assumes the role of the main city park, previously held by the Marmont estate. From the data of the Vienna War Archive, it can be concluded that the existing elliptic path has a somewhat reduced bandwidth and is surrounded by the trees. It is assumed that the three rows of trees were cut at the order of then-mayor Bajamonti, who decided to renovate and rearrange the park as a great field for gymnastic exercises. At the end of the 19th century, the park was influenced by Baroque which can be identified in all future developmental stages of the park despite its decay. The central part had a pavilion that is now replaced by a stone fountain with a sculpture of “Putta” (an angel-like figure) on its top.

Find on map

Address:

Park Josipa Jurja Strossmayera, 21000 Split

GPS coordinate:

N43.509886, E16.441236